Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,738

1 members and 1,737 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,162
Threads: 248,599
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Csr112
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Anybody handle your GTPs?

I'm posting from my blackberry, its really difficult. My monitor is dead. Green trees seem to be very sensitive in the first third of their body. Grabbing there is almost a certain bite. You can teach them it's okay but it takes time. I feel its best to hold a chondro with open hands just moving them when they try to climb you. I don't interact with mine like I would a ball or carpet even. They are best with slow movements. Most reptiles have a wrap for being nippy. I strongly believe it comes from the wild caughts that tend to be very snappy. Holding small green trees is something that only requires care and extra attention. I suggest getting a yearling first, but many love the color change. They really enjoy to explore but they do not try to escape from you. Keep doing research. Mainland animals are known to be the more calm. If you like blue dorsals maybe a sorong is your best bet. If not look at aru locals. Jayas are a variable mix of colors that are very cool. I really do want to make it clear that these animals should not be handled as frequently as other snakes. This is my, and many others opinions. I have some who will eat and be normal minutes after a good handling session and others who will refuse two weeks. It takes time to learn the snake. These are the most rewarding species I've ever dealt with. I'd keep them exclusively without any problem. Look into "The More Complete Chondro" by Greg Maxwell. Its a really good read full of into and its easy to read. Full of stories and many great chondro shots. Sorry if I didn't cover everything or too incoherant to read. Difficult from a phone.
    Chondro-holic

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post
    Yeap, it's official.

David is the official BP.net Morelia-picture-taker-putter-on-the-internet-er!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidG For This Useful Post:

Seneschal (09-05-2009)

Thanks

Great post's david, i dont free handle my chondro's much, im pretty sure they hate it! I do have removable perches in my cages and racks though, and it makes life tons easier!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

They are absolutely beautiful snakes. I want to get one eventually, but not anytime soon. I know people that have GTP that will tolerate handling, but I wouldn't handle mine if I had one, which i'm probably lieing because I would, but I don't know for a fact because I don't have one.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

I forgot to add a "mandatory" photo to the thread, this tree hugger has never been free handled!

Thanks

^^^That is a gorgeous snake, and a great picture of it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12