Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,180

2 members and 2,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,760
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

Options for 4 foot night time viewing bulbs?

I have a 4 foot fixture hung ready to go and i find out the nighttime bulbs i always see at the store do not come in 4 foot bulbs like everything else.

so i just want a bulb that isn't going to bother the animals, specfically pythons and breaded dragons, at night, its not going to be on all the time, just when i walk in the room id like to hit a switch and be able to check on em

i thought mayb blacklight, but i don't know if that would bother them or not, can they see in that wave length? do i have any other options?

Thanks

Re: Options for 4 foot night time viewing bulbs?

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I have a 4 foot fixture hung ready to go and i find out the nighttime bulbs i always see at the store do not come in 4 foot bulbs like everything else.

so i just want a bulb that isn't going to bother the animals, specfically pythons and breaded dragons, at night, its not going to be on all the time, just when i walk in the room id like to hit a switch and be able to check on em

i thought mayb blacklight, but i don't know if that would bother them or not, can they see in that wave length? do i have any other options?
    I'm pretty sure any 'night' bulbs that are either red or purple they can not see and it should not bother them.

You could test it though. If they react to you turning on the light, try the other type. I've always used red-bulbs but have used a blacklight purple bulb and it worked fine.

Thanks

guess ill test it tonight

Thanks

black, blue, red and green seem to work alright. i didn't like the green light, however.

Thanks

just to update

the blacklight does not seem to bother the animals what so ever, none of the snakes or bearded dragons seem to even notice. tho its not very bright (which i guess is the point) it good enough for night time viewing.

and in case anyone else is buying 4 foot black lights, home depot/lowes only sells T12 type black lights and i have a t8 fixture so out of all places i had to get my lights a spencers gifts, they had em for 13 bucks 4 foot T8 type black lights. only thing im worried about is their 36 watts instead of the normal 32, so im hoping 4 watts doesn't make the ballast burn out, guess only time will tell.