Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,067

1 members and 1,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,216
Threads: 248,624
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Sharon84

Thread: Enclosure Size

Thanks

Enclosure Size

I purchased a hatchling ball python approximately a month and a half ago. At the time of purchase the breeder/seller stated she was a week old.

Currently she is housed in a 10 gallon enclosure. However I am going to put her in a larger enclosure as she looks a little cramped.

I know eventually I will place her in a 40 gallon breeder or its equivalent in the next two or so years. Money wise I think it would be smart to purchase a 40 gallon breeder now and be done with it. However, I don't want to stress her with all the enormous space and cause her to go on a hunger strike.

If I decide to buy a 20 gallon long enclosure how long would that last before having to upgrade her enclosure? The 20 gallon long is 30 inches long by 12 inches deep by 12 inches tall. My ball python is every bit of 18 inches long.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Enclosure Size

Keep in mind that BPs LIKE to be cramped. What looks like a tiny enclosure to you is probably nice and snug to them.

A basic rule with tanks is to keep a hatchling in a 10gal until they reach 100g weight. Then, you can move them to a 20gal Long tank (IF they accept it) until they're about 800g, possibly more.

If your snake is hiding most of the day, eating well, and not showing signs of stress then the 10g tank is just right for them. If you move them and they start acting restless, looking for ways out, and not acting normal then they want to go back to the smaller space.
    Some snakes like less or more room than others, so you just have to learn your snake. I have two that hate large spaces, and had one a few months ago that just couldn't get enough room.

Get a 20 long, since that would be the next size up, and set it up right. Then see if your snake accepts the extra room. Be sure to have two good hides and plenty of greenery to fill the open space.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

Hi, I have not heard of a week old ball py being 18 inches. Are you sure it is just a baby? So far the only thing I have heard is that a 20 gallon is ample size. Also to add on that, I pretty much bought a bigger tank cause I found a deal and was just gonna save it as a treat for when the snake became large enough for it. The snake's personality will tell you if it will enjoy a longer trip to the water dish and more room to feed....

Thanks,

Mi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mirau9 View Post
    Hi, I have not heard of a week old ball py being 18 inches. Are you sure it is just a baby? So far the only thing I have heard is that a 20 gallon is ample size. Also to add on that, I pretty much bought a bigger tank cause I found a deal and was just gonna save it as a treat for when the snake became large enough for it. The snake's personality will tell you if it will enjoy a longer trip to the water dish and more room to feed....

Thanks,

Mi.
    I bought her towards the end of April. She has been eating well since I've had her. I've noticed that she has been getting bigger.