Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,369

0 members and 1,369 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Btripp08 (38)

» Stats

Members: 75,150
Threads: 248,591
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Dbook

View Poll Results: Does your snake love you?

Voters
1669. You may not vote on this poll
  • I know my snake loves me!

774 46.38%
  • I know my snake doesn't care. It does not feel emotions.

895 53.62%
Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I think my snake loves me

Well, that is true, but can't that be said of ANY emotion (including a human reacting to stimuli and feeling sorrow, love, happiness, etc)?

Thanks

I think alot of people try to compare reptiles to something else; mindless like insects/fish or compassionate like dogs/cats/etc. Here's my take on it:

I am very big on biology and feel that snakes will never feel anything that equates to human love/emotion but I do feel all snakes will feel an emotion one way or another.

I look to the Triune Brain model based on evolution. Basically this separates the brain into 3 parts, the R-complex, the Limbic System, and the Neocortex. As the brain got bigger over time in accordance with evolution and cephalization, the brain also received levels of complexity. Basically, fish have primitive forms of the R-complex, amphibians have a more complex structure than fish, reptiles have the entire R-complex, birds exhibit some of the limbic system, all mammals have the entire limbic system, and higher order mammals possess the neocortex.

The R-complex (from being named the Reptilian Complex) is the basis of the brain, the brainstem and cerebellum in our brains; which make up the brain in reptiles. In humans and reptiles alike, the R-complex is responsible for certain things like rage, fear, and the flight-or-fight responses. In humans, this is where "primitive" emotions develop, such as territorial defense, fear, and anger all take place.

Now the Limbic system gives way to mood, emotions and higher order memory. The R-complex had some basic memory functions but the Limbic system gives way to learning, (i.e. Mouse in a maze). These are where emotions like sadness, love, happiness, all reside. All mammals possess this part of the brain; so its safe to say your dogs, cats, mice, rats, hamsters, etc all love you.

So what does this mean? Snakes cannot love, but snakes can feel emotion, granted they are basic but they still feel emotion.

From Dictionary.com: "emotion- an affective state of consciousness in which joy, sorrow, fear, hate, or the like, is experienced, as distinguished from cognitive and volitional states of consciousness. "
    or wikipedia: :An emotion is a mental and physiological state associated with a wide variety of feelings, thoughts, and behavior."

So I strongly believe that my snake does have and feels emotions, he might not love me, but he can feel secure or insecure which equates to very basic emotions.
    1.0 Leatherback Het Hypo Bearded Dragon - Crush

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun J View Post
    Well, its not an opinion. Its a fact that snakes can't love or hate.
    How is this a fact?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    How is this a fact?
    I want to know the same thing. A fact requires proof. If there is proof that snakes can't love or hate, I'm interested in seeing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    It actually upsets me that anyone with live animals would think they have literally NO EMOTIONS AT ALL (fear, contentment, the state of being annoyed- those *are* emotions, and recognizing that your animals experience at least those basic emotions does not mean you think your snakes love you).
    This disturbs me as well... it seems like a rather essential component of understanding and caring for your pet.

I know that I'm new to this hobby and this board but I'd like to share an observation I've made during my learning experience:
    Snakes are very sensitive creatures. I suppose I wasn't expecting them to be so as much as they are.
    Creatures that will go as far as complete fasting if their enclosure doesn't make them feel safe, or if they are handled too much - this doesn't sound like an emotionless, mindless creature to me. Wouldn't an emotionless, automaton-like creature be more likely to ignore such things and eat anyway?

The issue of love is a whole different can of worms, but in my opinion you can't say that snakes cannot feel essential emotions like fear, anger, contentment... they are too basic to survival. And all emotions are just reactions to stimuli, including those of humans.
    - Katie -

1.0 Normal BP - Orion
    1.0 Betta Fish - Albus
    0.1 Financee - Chris

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scatterheart For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (06-04-2009)

Thanks

Agreed.

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly. When I cry at a funeral, it is a reaction to stimuli. When my husband gets annoyed at work, it is a reaction to stimuli. When I smile and laugh because my baby is cute, it is a reaction to stimuli. I may react to things a snake would not, but that doesn't make my emotions more valid. Just unique to my species, as a snake's are to his

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    Exactly. When I cry at a funeral, it is a reaction to stimuli. When my husband gets annoyed at work, it is a reaction to stimuli. When I smile and laugh because my baby is cute, it is a reaction to stimuli. I may react to things a snake would not, but that doesn't make my emotions more valid. Just unique to my species, as a snake's are to his
    Finally! Someone thinking correctly . I think we tend to exaggerate how "advanced" human emotion can be sometimes.
    1.0 Leatherback Het Hypo Bearded Dragon - Crush

10. The Following User Says Thank You to StormSerpent For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (06-04-2009)

Thanks

idk....my baby loves me...she doesn't ball up when i pull her out....jus climbs into me shirt...hehe
    1:1 mojave

Thanks

Love is not something that can be measured.

That said, even if you think that a snake's body (or any body) is just a biological machine and is incapable of love, I don't see what's wrong with people perceiving love from a pet, even if it's "anthropomorphizing." Trying to convince people there is no affection there when they perceive it all the time seems pointlessly cruel to me.

Why try to make less love in the world?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b8g8 For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (02-20-2014),TheOtherLeadingBrand (06-05-2009)

Page 36 of 77 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast