Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,745

1 members and 1,744 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Aag2019 (31)

» Stats

Members: 75,199
Threads: 248,610
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lilly24601

Threaded View

Thanks

New snake struck and then laid out on back

I have a brand new 90g ball python that I got a week ago. I haven’t been messing with him until today when I tried to feed him for the first time. He struck a few times and then when he finally got it he coiled and then it was like he went limp. He wasn’t latched on and was just laying there on his back with the rat pup on him. I went to check on him and he did right himself, but then just sniffed the rat and refused to eat. I have 2 theories for what I think might have happened and would like your opinions.

The first is that this is a neurologic disorder and inclusion body disease would be the first thing that comes to mind. Really hoping it’s not that considering it’s a death sentence.

I was also thinking that maybe he’s still kind of skittish and the first strikes were more defensive and then he just froze out of fear after he got the mouse, but I don’t think that really makes sense because he doesn’t seem super skittish when I come up to the cage and he does explore plus why would he have cooled around the mouse?

I will add that he looks skinny to me. I’m not sure if most ball pythons look skinny at this age. He was hatched August 20th. I was told he was eating weekly on live rat pups.

I’ve never owned a bp this small, so it’s got me a little on edge, and I’ve never seen a snake do that.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jcd5v; 10-21-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa