Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,455

0 members and 2,455 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Basking shelves, advice?

Doing some preliminary planning and trying to figure out how I'm going to add shelves to this enclosure and my mom suggested using this vinyl-coated metal shelf and paint over the exposed bits and cover it with expanding foam to make it a solid platform. Would that be okay? Also already have foam piece I can cut into shelves. The metal shelf I'll probably use some L brackets or something of that nature, but is the foam shelf glued on and/or does expanding foam hold it in place?

Also how long does the expanding foam take to off gas (there's some well windows I can open to air out)? The enclosure is right next to my current snakes and it's a massive thing to try to move out and back into the basement, so could I just relocate them in a cooler or something until the foam is done off gassing in a few hours or would it take longer and the enclosure would have to be moved?

And since I'll obviously want the whole thing to look nice, what paint is safe for reptiles? Haven't really looked into that yet.

Finally my mom kept badgering me about how shelving would block too much heat from reaching the bottom if I put shelves underneath it. But, the snake will be using the platforms to warm up anyway? I'm right in thinking it won't matter too much surely?

Last edited by Snagrio; 07-23-2022 at 10:48 AM.