I have a hognose who is just a pet and has laid infertile eggs for two years now. Last year, it was entirely unexpected and I found the eggs while cleaning. She did shed within 1-2 months before that but I’m not sure when the eggs were laid. She had been exploring a ton but she also just got moved into a new cage so I didn’t think anything of it. I am really bad at telling when a snake looks like they have eggs, I’ve seen some people post about how wide their snake looks and I really couldn’t tell even with it pointed out to me. I’m guessing it’s even less obvious with infertile eggs.

This year, I was more aware and checked on her frequently. I actually just did a photoshoot with her less than a month ago and didn’t see any difference in her size. Today when I opened her cage she launched out trying to bite me even though I just fed her a few days ago, and she is usually shy about eating. I cleaned her cage and there were the eggs again. This time I know she hasn’t shed for a few months, so it was also pretty unexpected. Unless I’m completely confused about pre-lay sheds and they only happen when they’re actually gravid?

If so, how can I tell next year so I can make sure to give her an egg box? And any ways to get her to not do this? I really don’t want her to get egg bound. I have RHP’s now and her temps stay consistent year round. Should I change that? I have other male snakes but no other hogs.

Also, I did try to feel her belly today and didn’t feel any eggs still inside. The eggs in her cage are all dried up and solid, so should I be in the clear for egg binding?