Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,397

3 members and 1,394 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl

Threaded View

Thanks
    My creosote plants are not growing as quickly as they should. I had grown a few from seed about 7 years ago while living in the Midwest, using just cactus soil. They grow slowly, but I want mine to be a little stronger before I introduce a snake into my vivarium. Because I now have what looks like a solid lead on an adult Trans-Pecos rat snake, giving that he will be quarantined for 3 months, I probably have minimum of that long to see if I can get my creosotes a little larger. I am hoping they can withstand a smoosh by my snake by then. If not, oh well. I may try growing in a pot and transplanting it into my enclosure at a later date if they get destroyed.

I found an old pH tester in my house. I got kind of a blue result, which I'm guessing means like, too alkaline to be on this test strip (which is acceptable for these plants), or it's just old and confused lol

I wanted to research why my creosotes may not have optimal conditions, and found a thesis that mentioned two things: calcium carbonate, and coarse soil. So, today, I dug a trench around the creosote seedlings, added a little kelp meal into the trench, and moistened that with a spray bottle. I then crushed up five calcium carbonate antacid tablets (aka Tums) and sprinkled that into the trench. I added some coarse mixture that I use for potting succulents (Bonsai Jack's "gritty mix," but please note this is only in this small section of the habitat as an experiment), and then mixed that in with the existing soil. I am hoping the slight added course texture, kelp, and calcium will help them get a better hold. I will also try turning on the plant LED light again for a time, although the growth they do have seems to be compact and looks healthy. I'm just not sure why they are not branching much, and why the one seems to have a longer base stem.

Mmm... powdered Tums.

Tums sprinkled around creosote.

Everything mixed in with gritty soil amendment added.

In other news, yesterday I got in contact with someone wanting to sell their 9-year-old blonde male Trans-Pecos rat snake. I am really excited about this and hope it works out. It will not be for probably another 3 weeks or so, as we have to arrange a time to meet so I can pick up the snake, and I have to drive a bit. But I am happy to find a seller I actually feel good about, and also to acquire an older, adult snake. Here is a photo he sent me.

Last edited by TofuTofuTofu; 05-13-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    ----------
    Animals in my house:

1.0 Green Iguana
    1.0 New Zealand Rabbit
    1.0 Blonde Trans-Pecos Rat Snake
    1.0 Japanese Rat Snake
    ? Panda King Isopod Colony
    6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
    4 Hellburnt Diabolical Ironclad Beetles

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TofuTofuTofu For This Useful Post:

aurum (05-13-2021),Bogertophis (05-13-2021),Caitlin (06-17-2021),nikkubus (06-16-2021)