Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,492

1 members and 2,491 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kaiju (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,149
Threads: 248,589
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, koala

Threaded View

Thanks

Question Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

Hello! I am new to this forum because I have a male brooks kingsnake who has had a recent change in digestion and behavior, such as pooping a day later after eating and multiple times throughout the week, diarrhea or softer poop (sometimes has green in it), and biting his own tail. Some important details are listed below:

• >3.5 years old and around 3-4 feet long
    • Eats a large mouse every week now in a separate container (always eats well)
    • Has an overhead lamp at 50w for daytime and an under tank mat all day
    • ZooMed Aspen Bedding in a 40 gallon tank
    • Ambient temperature is around 74F and humidity is usually 50-60

He used to eat a large mouse every two weeks (and eats well) and has never acted anything like this. He attacks his tail as if he is starving and tries to strangle himself. His tail is all bit up with a bunch of scratches and peeling scales (he usually bites from the side and doesn’t swallow his whole tail). When he is in this state, he tends to be very reactant and goes around his tank pretty fast. I take him out when he does this, and he becomes very tight around my hands and turns my fingers purple while trying to tangle himself into the tightest knot. He tightens himself in concerning ways and his body cracks, which I am hoping are just his scales. When he does this, I usually feed him and it resolves the problem until a few days after he poops, where he goes back into hunting mode and tends to be quick and aggressive. He does occasionally bite (which he has only done once when he was very young), and when he does, he makes a slight wheezing sound every few seconds, but he does this when he eats too. He also does this when he is really tight around my hands. He also has been pooping more than usual and it happens not long after he eats. It was pretty much diarrhea and some had a little bit of green coloration (not urates).

I took him to the vet and it turns out that he had 2 types of bacteria that are common in snakes. Nothing else was wrong with him in particular. They did find some aspen bedding in his system, which I haven’t noticed before. I think he has been getting bedding in his system because he has been attacking himself and accidentally getting some in his mouth. They suggested an x-ray to check for impaction, but I haven't seen anything like it since. We got him some oral antibiotics which he took every other day for 2 weeks, and he seemed to get better. He even shed which he hadn’t done in a while. He passed bowel movements at about 4 days after eating, and it had more shape. He also stopped biting himself and acting erratic around his tank.

Since then, I have gotten him new hides that are more secure and a little tree he seems to love climbing on. I put a cover on one side of the tank for more security in case he is stressed. It has been about a month since we went to the vet, and he is starting to have softer poop (or diarrhea) and strange behavior again. He does wait an appropriate amount of time to poop, which seems good, but he is starting to bite himself again in less than a week of eating. I’ve heard stories about people waking up to their kingsnake dead because they started eating themselves, and I really don’t want that to happen. I know kingsnakes aren't the brightest, but I can't help but think it is more complicated than that.

I tried to make this as short as I could without missing any details, so sorry if this was a long read. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    Last edited by mopuim; 12-15-2020 at 09:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Reptile$ 4 Life (12-15-2020)