Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,046

2 members and 2,044 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,151
Threads: 248,593
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Lunarlily28

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts

That's it, I'm done with African Soft Fur Rats!

I've been breeding rats, mice and ASF for quite a few months now and the ASF don't have babies very often and the growth of the babies is super slow! I have baby mice growing 4x faster than the baby ASF. And my rat babies grow even faster! I finally got my mouse breeding down pretty good, I'm keeping one male and one female per 5 gallon or 10 gallon glass critter cage. They pop out babies every 3-4 weeks, as soon as the babies are weaned they have another batch in about a week or so.

Still trying to figure out my rats, I tried keeping females separate but when I put them back with males and females there's quite a bit of fighting. And then there's the delay in pregnancy when I separate and it's about two months between batches of babies. Now I'm going to try group breeding with one male and several females in a glass 40 gallon breeder critter cage, not sure how that will work but rats seem to get along better when paired permanently.

Mice are even worse, you can't really put a new mouse with an established single or group, they fight really bad. It's best to keep mated pairs together all the time and mix batches of babies when they are very young before they mature, and it's best to pick out breeding pairs as soon as the babies mature since they have been with each other growing up. Once the male mice mature they start fighting and it's time to either separate the males and females or feed them off.

The ASF never really fight no matter if you put in new males or females in the group, but the breeding is just way toooooo slow. With my 20 snakes and feeding most twice a week I'm going through about 80 rodents a month so I need to keep up production!!
    Last edited by cchardwick; 09-10-2016 at 12:25 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

wolfy-hound (09-11-2016)