Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,649

2 members and 1,647 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,607
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead

Threaded View

Thanks

Re: Holding Gaboon viper

Quote Originally Posted by tbowman View Post
    There is a big difference between a viper and an elapid. Anyone who's worked venomous for real will tell you that elapids are much more predictable. The most experienced people in the world will tail a cobra because it's generally safe once you understand the body mechanics of elapids. Vipers, especially Gaboons, are extremely unpredictable and they can hit you from any angle at any time. I don't see many professionals putting hands on a pit viper unless it's absolutely required.

I watched a documentary recently that pointed out that, despite how clumsy their shape might make them look, gaboons in particular can strike in a 180 degree radius. They also claimed that their striking speed has been measured and clocked in as being faster than lightning striking the ground. If I am not mistaken they also have the longest fangs of any venomous species at around 2'' (correct me if I am wrong there). That is not a snake you want to mess. I understand the temptation, they are beautiful animals, but that seems likely to wind up taking a nice long dirt nap thanks to his efforts.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0 Red Tail Boa, 1.0 Carpet Python, 1.0 Western Hognose, 1.0 Tremper Leopard Gecko, 0.1 Chinchilla, 2.0 Cats, 1.0 Dog, 0.1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula, 0.0.1 Desert Blonde Tarantula.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiiarah For This Useful Post:

Megg (07-15-2015),Tsanford (07-12-2015)