Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,446

1 members and 2,445 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

View Poll Results: Have you ever gotten Salmonella from your reptiles?

Voters
313. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 1.92%
  • No

307 98.08%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Ever gotten Salmonella from your reptiles?

We are very clean and always use hand gel or wash our hands after touching the snakes. Since becoming pregnant (where I entered a high risk group for salmonella) and since having a baby (who is high risk until the age of five years) I have exercised extreme caution. I do not allow the snakes to crawl on my clothes I am wearing unless I can change before holding the baby. I never ever put snake dishes in the sink except to bleach them, and I then bleach the sink and counter tops. Of course I have a dedicated snake dish sponge, wish I soak in bleach after each use. If the bowls have fecal matter (none have for months and months though) I wash them outside and bleach them. I run all hides and bowls (after bleaching) through the dish washer weekly. I spot clean the cages daily, and remove some bedding along with any waste matter. I wipe down the inside of the glass, and I thouroughly rinse off any snake that was resting in fecal matter (such as if he messed in his hide overnight). All tanks are cleaned entirely monthly or bi-monthly, and I routinely use a bleach solution and clean the door handles of the snake room and the tables/surfaces in there, and the floor. It's worth it- it keeps our snakes to an extremely high standard of care, which is always good, and it keeps our child safe. This routine isn't just about keeping salmonella at bay, either- it's about caring pet ownership and protecting our investment and our beloved snakes.

Before the pregnancy, I was careless about the handling aspect. My snakes crawled all over me, crawled on the bed (not now since the baby often is on the bed), and I would eat while holding a snake, etc. I have never had salmonella, or if I have, it was mild enough that it went away on its own. I also am terrified of doctors (phobic of needles). I would have to be near death before I'd go to one. So I can't say for SURE I never had a mild case of it. I have a very strong immune system and am an extremely healthy person who has never been sick in my life, so I think my tolerance is high. I suspect the same of my child, who is breast fed and of course shared my body for nine months.

At any rate, it's not something I worry over, but I do take precautions for mine AND my animals' sakes!

To ban reptiles for this would be stupid- if so, we should ban eggs and chicken and pet birds and even dogs and some humans carry salmonella *eyeroll*

Thanks

I think you're more likely to get sick from produce, foods and improperly handled raw meat and eggs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littleindiangirl For This Useful Post:

llovelace (07-16-2009)

Thanks

Well granted this isn't from the U.S. but I thought this visual was quite interesting (click on it to enlarge it properly).

http://www.eurosurveillance.org/imag...sis_Figure.jpg

Basically take reasonable and common sense precautions like handwashing and good hygiene. In the end you are still far more likely to get salmonella from your take out dinner or your own kitchen cutting board.
    ~~Joanna~~

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Only when I lick them......

J/K!

Never have I gotten sick from my snakes.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Never have gotten salmonella, but I've always washed my hands after handling and they never touch my face. Every pet can get you sick, and I'm actually most cautious around my fish. I actually know several people who have gotten Mycobacterium marinum, but no one ever points that out as a reason not to keep fish and they shouldn't. Just wear gloves and/or wash your hands. If you have open cuts on your hands/arms don't put them in the tank. WOW how will I ever remember all that?!

Salmonella isn't a good reason for most people not to keep reptiles. Just keep clean like you would around any other animal (or bathroom, or kitchen, or...).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Not worried about getting it from my snakes. I eat eggs poached, sunnyside up & raw in my protein shakes. I also eat my steaks rare, but that's another topic.

I've worked in the health care profession since before the Aids epidemic, and have worked with alot of nasty little bugs, Just keep in mind to practice universal precautions & you won't have a problem.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Infants and small children are susceptible due to their immune system not being as strong as ours.

BPnet Veteran Kesslers Kreatures's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    Only when I lick them......

J/K!

Never have I gotten sick from my snakes.
    Leave it to you to lick your balls.
    Lewie

0.1 Girlfriend
    5.13 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boas

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kesslers Kreatures For This Useful Post:

TheOtherLeadingBrand (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Nope. Got it from eating chicken at a Thai restaurant once, though.

However, I do not kiss my reptiles, stick them in my mouth, stick my hands in my mouth after handling them, etc. I wash my hands before, and after handling them. When I clean their tubs I used a bleach solution, I wash my hands in between tubs, etc., & I only use the bathroom sink to wash out any bowls, etc. Also, if I go to a reptile store or show I use hand sanitizer before and after handling any herps.

Just a few simple precautions are all that is needed to keep the reptiles and the humans safe.
    Other Herps:
    6.20 Bearded Dragons (Hypos, Trans, Leathebacks, Reds, etc.), 1.1 Knob Tail Geckos
    Other:
    0.1 Mini American Eskimos, 1.0 Chihuahuas, 0.1 Terrier Mixes, 1.0 Chihuahua/Toy Fox Terrier Mixes
    1.0 Double Rex, 0.1 Beige Ruby Eyed Dumbo, 0.1 Hairless PEW

Thanks

Handle hundreds of snakes/lizards/tortoises on a weekly basis and never got sick, don't plan on it either
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast