My ball python (3y/o male) has what I assume is a mild case of scale rot, and I would like some advice because this is my first ball python, and while I have had him for 3 years, I have never dealt with scale rot before.

Tank temps are ~82F hot side and 75F cool side, and it drops to 72F at night. Humidity is 40% right now (lower than usual because I read that I should keep it drier for the scale rot). He’s on paper towels right now and his tank just had a deep clean.

I started out treating him with Neosporin (no pain reliever) and wanted to wait until he shed to see if the scale rot would clear up. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of his annual winter hunger strike, so he hasn’t shed because he isn’t eating, and the scale rot has gotten worse.

I’ve began treating him with a diluted betadine bath for 30 minutes 3 times a week and applying Neosporin almost daily. Is there anything else I should be doing, or a different schedule I should be following? I don’t live near a reptile vet, so I would like to avoid a vet trip if possible. I will find a way to get to a vet if necessary, though.

I also just wanted some reassurance that his condition isn’t life threatening. From what I have read online, I am terrified that things are too late already. I don’t know how to attach images through the mobile browser, so here’s a google doc with some pictures of his condition:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...pjLLxmD4A/edit

I also thought I should add, oddly enough, the scale rot seems to have started on his back scales rather than his stomach scales. What could this mean? I’m assuming this isn’t normal? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!