Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
Keep in mind that sizing up the rodents you feed means feeding the "most mature" rodent that ALSO fits the body of the snake (roughly = to mid-body of snake, and not bigger than). Overfeeding long-term can give a snake fatty liver disease (ie. poor health), or in the short-term, can cause a dangerous regurgitation. Let go of that "guilt-trip" you're carrying & don't over-do his meals.

Many experienced keepers will tell you that snakes grown slowly & not over-fed are healthier & better off. It's more likely this is similar to what happens in the wild- many captive-bred snakes are unfortunately over-fed. It's a fine line for best health- just like with us or other animals- not too thin & not too heavy. So again, I'd caution you not to jump into feeding him too much- either too large or too often. And in future photos, if you can slip something next to him (like a small ruler) for size reference, that will help us to help advise you.

Please don't try to "make up for lost time" with too much food, either feeding too often, or prey that's too big- his stomach might not be able to handle it. Snakes do best with gradual adjustments.

I'm glad you realized that UTH (in fact, all heating devices) need to be controlled.
And sadly, pet stores are notorious for giving bad advice- you always need to do your own independent research with sources that aren't there to profit from selling you something. Pet stores are there to make money, or they don't stay open. Some stores & some employees are better than others- many may mean well- but you cannot really count on it. Some have experience & give good advice, but never assume that.
Gotcha that makes sense to me, I will keep him on medium sized mice for a while then and then I will buy a large sized one to have so I can continually keep comparing it to the largest part of his body so I will know when he is actually ready for it. Yeah I was definitely going to start guilt feeding him more but you are right I don't want to turn around and cause him other health problems in the opposite direction haha, I want him to be fit and healthy.

Yeah I should have done my own research, it's obvious in hindsight now that he was just answering my questions in the most generic ways possible.

Hey while I got you, I have one of the reptile basics large heating pads and I am having a hard time finding a good tape that will stick it to the bottom of the tank. Any thoughts?