Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,465

2 members and 2,463 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397

Threaded View

Thanks

Lost baby snake, need ideas

I'm sure you see this all the time. One of our baby snakes has escaped and I don't know HOW. I need to know bc we have three other baby snakes in identical setups and now I am worried.
    The escape artist was a very small milk snake, we also have a very small corn and two kings ( one Cali and one MBK) which are bigger. All are in glass terrariums with ZILLA metal mesh terrarium covers and two ZILLA locks of the appropriate size for the tank, installed on the long ends staggered, not both at front for ex. There were plenty of fake plants he could have climbed to get to the lid of course...but we thought it was locked.
    My only idea is that he may have been able to expand the hole created by the thermometer/hydrometer cord. Its a pretty tiny cord. I could try to share a pic but it was just your standard digital model. I have felt and checked the lid over and over, I just don't see how even a tiny snake could have done it. I have checked every crevice of every hide and sifted all the aspen but I'm leaving the cage locked JUST in case.
    He may have gone venturing for food bc despite our very best attempts he was off food. My son is very sad...
    Any ideas
    A) HOW????
    b)Where they tend to hide. We have checked all over and under and in everything on his floor. Thankfully our upstairs heat registers are on the ceiling but he had to do was drop off a balcony to get to the downstairs and a drafty exterior door. I am thinking he will go for heat or water, but our whole house and even the outside is comfy for a colubrid. I am worried he might even try to get into a diff terrarium as he is in the kingsnake family and they eat other snakes...
    I'm considering plunking some bricks on our other cage lids or painter's tape at this point...
    Last edited by Rose414; 04-13-2022 at 02:03 PM.