Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 927

2 members and 925 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,136
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,219 Posts

3x2x2 Modification for Antaresia

Below for your review and comment is my plan to modify my ball python enclosure for a children's python. This is my current enclosure:

It's a 3x2x2 plywood enclosure. I divided it in two to give my ball the option of hiding in a darkened tub or exploring in a terrarium. The tub is a cement mixing tub I got from Lowe's. My ball could move freely between the two through a triangular notch I cut into the divider. The tub is about 8 inches tall. The terrarium is about 14.5 inches tall. The other 1.5 inches was taken by the thickness of the plywood. Here are the enclosure's guts:

The terrarium is heated by an 80 watt VE radiant heat panel. This provides heat for a basking spot. The tub is heated by heat tape. This keeps the cool side from getting too cool. Both are regulated using Jump Start thermostats.

I plan to replace the plywood divider with a melamine one. I want something more stain and odor resistant. I'll use a whole saw to cut a circular hole in the divider. I'm concerned that the notch I current have cut in the edge of the current divider will give the smaller children's python access to the edge of the tub that he may use to escape. I plan to replace the aluminum tracks that hold the divider in place with aluminum angles. Sliding the 1/2 inch divider through the 1/2 inch tracts was difficult. Particularly, when the recently washed divider was swollen with water. Lastly, to secure the sliding glass front, I'll add an additional aluminum angle to block access to the bottom of the glass and vinyl tubing filled with silicone sealant to close the gap at the top of the glass. This will have the additional benefit of giving me something to grab onto when I'm lifting the glass out.

As I'm writing this, I realize that this may be difficult for you to picture, so feel free to ask me to explain further, and thanks, in advance, for your time and consideration.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-12-2022),Bogertophis (11-01-2021),Hugsplox (11-01-2021)