Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,217

1 members and 1,216 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

How much to feed? Or help solve??

After talking to a few local feed rat breeders I was recommend to try feeding a cheaper type of rat food.

I ended up choosing a hog food and a goat food both that came out at 16% protein and matched many key ingredients from the mazuri I've been using. I also supplement with daily dinner scraps & this mix http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...odent-Feed-Mix

I only bought one bag as a test run, so I could switch back. But if they are still getting their daily nutrition, and I can save, well then that's a key part of the business plan

Them eating is not the issue.. My problem is that I put what I think to be a 3-4 day supply, on the 1/2" construction mesh, and maybe 4 rat tubs have learned to get their food down in the tubs within just a few hours. I then worry about them getting enough food, or knowing when to give more.

Is there a good estimate on daily intake per rat, and I can do that daily? Or is there a way to stop them from getting it all in so quickly? 1/4" mesh would be too small; these are still decently sized block.

Thanks all!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tsanford; 07-18-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks

Re: How much to feed? Or help solve??

I use Kent 19% rodent feed. It comes in the same bag as the hog feed bag. If your supply store doesn't carry it ask and they might order it for you. Also, whenever I notice that in a rack it seems to be getting low faster than the others, usually there is a rat or two loose. Moving things around a few times I have found a 50lb bags worth hidden in odd places. They are clever little buggers.
    Last edited by Hardt; 07-19-2015 at 07:37 AM.

Thanks

Re: How much to feed? Or help solve??

There are no loose Rats. For sure.

What I've mentioned above is what I am watching them do. Because the block is smaller than mazuri. The rats in a few of the tubs will rotate every piece until a 4 day supply is all in the tub. Then they dig around in their aspen scavenging for days.

Id like to know how to prevent this, or how to measure a daily feeding amount per rat.

From what I've read, 16% is good for nursing mothers and babies, but still a little too high for males. Too much protein for the males causes the craps.

The reason I made the switch is a 40 or 50lb bag of mazuri is $28, and a 50lb bag of the new mix is only $8. Like I said above, this was a test run. If they are getting their nutrition still, and staying healthy, I'll stick with it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tsanford; 07-19-2015 at 09:35 AM.