Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

1 members and 3,221 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Decided to name this gene Aurora. Here's the story. It's long!

The Aurora line...

No it's not another dinker claim..

I've decided to finally name my brightening gene that I've worked with for awhile. Initially I suspected it was a type of genetic blackback. I was just calling them blackbacks even though there was not always a complete blackback. As it turns out, it's actually a brightening gene somewhat like the fader but definitely different. I'm handing over part of this project to my friends over at Mad Men Morphs. It needed a name so people will know where these beautiful morphs came from, and can incorporate it into their own projects..

I started with an 08' blackbacked female from unknown origin. She was bred to a dark Bradford Cole cinnamon. I'd bred my pair of BC cinnys before and they only produced cinnys which looked like them. Dark cinnamon and black coloration, faded eye stripes which ended in the same straight line they began in, and nice flames but almost no dorsal blushing..

The outcome was very different when I put that BC cinny to my Aurora line blackbacked female. There were 4 cinnys and 3 normals. All but one cinny had the gene. It was very obvious. The normals resembled Russos, and the cinnys, while obviously different as babies, just got better with age. They looked like very low quality pewters. They had a sort of brown-out line showing a separation of color. The eye stripes on all of them always looked like the mothers. They end behind the eye in a larger circle, or curve down and connect with the neck. The eyes were also lighter. Blue grey in the top half for the cinnys, hazel for the normals. The cinnys showed increasing amounts of dorsal blushing as they grew, and the white outlining around the alien heads was on the cinnys as well as the normals.

I knew it was genetic but I just kept calling them blackbacks that lighten.

I then kept 2 of the cinnys and bred them together. They gave me 2 super cinnys, 1 cinny, and 3 normals. All are Aurora line. It's obvious the supers have the gene simply because they are very light and silvery. Especially along the last 2/3 of their body. A faint brown-out line is visible. All of these were shown to another fellow breeder who was at my house recently and he just kept pointing out the details that make all these snakes different from those that do not carry this gene. It's pretty obvious for sure.

The newest cinny is starting out the same way the first cinny clutch did. Almost yellow spots in between the dorsal markings. Lighter than average cinnys. The obvious wonky pattern influence. The pronounced and rounded eye stripes. The coloration..

The original blackback Dam was also bred to a normal holdback carrying the gene. So there were 2 breedings done to see if there was a super. Unfortunately, I lost most of those eggs. I do not know why, they just began to harden and go bad. The veins were weak. There were 2 eggs that had what appeared to be a viable baby inside near the end but they died in the egg. When I cut them, one was a reduced blackback that looked a lot like mom, but without all the alien heads. I do not know if the fact that the eggs died is related to this gene or not. I do not know why that one baby was so reduced with a solid blackback. I wont call it a super. more breeding needs to be done. It does make me wonder tho.

The decision to finally give it a name comes from the fact that I'm handing the project over to Mad Men Morphs for more breeding, and I'm selling a couple more males. I made the decision to cut way back on balls a couple years ago. As much as I'd like to continue with it to learn more about it, this project is taking up more time and space than I've allowed myself to have for balls recently. The owners of Mad Men Morphs are my friends, and I've done a lot of business with them in recent years so it made sense. This way, it can be known that these aren't just a normal wild-type ball python, and others can have a chance to work with it. The Aurora line brightening gene will improve on so many things. Hopefully it will even produce pastels that look better than lemons or citrus' We will know that soon..

I've worked with this gene for 4 years now and here is what is known so far..

It is definitely genetic and reacts like a dominant gene.
    It reproduces itself consistently.
    It greatly increases blackback patterning.
    It effects pattern AND color in other morphs.
    It increases blushing and flames.
    It brightens and improves on color.
    It tends to lighten with sheds during the first year.
    It is NOT allelic with het red, or green pastel.

It will be bred into light morphs such as Fire and Bee to see just how well it can improve on the low quality morphs we're seeing too much of lately.

I myself have decided to keep my big Aurora Cinnamon female. She will be bred to a Lavender simply because I've always wanted a cinny lav. My own personal pet project is to hold back a 1.1 cinny pair from that. I know that breeding will do nothing for this project but I have always wanted a cinny lav. Otherwise, the bulk of the future breedings of the Aurora will be done by Mad Men Morphs. I believe it has great potential.

Here are some photos.. Many of you have seen some of these pics.

Aurora on bottom..

And there you have it. Expect to see some beautiful morphs coming from this line soon
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 07-13-2013 at 04:32 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (07-13-2013),arialmt (07-13-2013),dart (07-17-2013),Flikky (07-13-2013),Mike41793 (07-13-2013)

Thanks
    Wow...that took forever to read but it was worth it, congrats on the new morph!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SjbReptiles View Post
    Wow...that took forever to read but it was worth it, congrats on the new morph!
    Lol thanks! The problem is, there are so many so-called dinkers out there now that if a worthwhile explanation isn't offered, people will laugh it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

I like what its done with your cinnies!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Decided to name this gene Aurora. Here's the story. It's long!

Sounds like an interesting project. I hope more information is forthcoming with more breeding.

According to the original post, there were three matings:
    1. Bradford Cole cinnamon x blackback female. Most babies were aurora. (Cinnamon and blackback mutant genes in babies disregarded.)
    2. brother x sister, both aurora, produced all aurora babies. How many?
    3. son (aurora) x mother produced dead embryos.

If this information is wrong, please correct it.

The second mating inclines me toward the belief that aurora is a recessive mutant gene. But it could have been the luck of the draw so does not rule out the chance that aurora is a dominant or codominant mutant gene.

Outbreeding to an unrelated snake is the only way to tell which it is. If a dominant or codominant mutant gene, then aurora x normal would be expected to produce 1/2 aurora and 1/2 normal. If a recessive mutant gene, then none of the babies would be expected to be aurora.

Good luck to you and the guys at Mad Men Morphs.

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Monica Big Congrats And Thanks for very Iformative Post..
    I wish every Breeder comming forward with new morph especialy with Subtle ones will have similar aproach with documentation if progress and explenation how those genes works...

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Those Aurora Cinnys are incredible. Looking forward to watching the Aurora project move forward-- has some awesome potential. Especially interested in finding out its official placement on the dom-recessive scale. And whether Supers are possible.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Sounds like an interesting project. I hope more information is forthcoming with more breeding.

According to the original post, there were three matings:
    1. Bradford Cole cinnamon x blackback female. Most babies were aurora. (Cinnamon and blackback mutant genes in babies disregarded.)
    2. brother x sister, both aurora, produced all aurora babies. How many?
    3. son (aurora) x mother produced dead embryos.

If this information is wrong, please correct it.

The second mating inclines me toward the belief that aurora is a recessive mutant gene. But it could have been the luck of the draw so does not rule out the chance that aurora is a dominant or codominant mutant gene.

Outbreeding to an unrelated snake is the only way to tell which it is. If a dominant or codominant mutant gene, then aurora x normal would be expected to produce 1/2 aurora and 1/2 normal. If a recessive mutant gene, then none of the babies would be expected to be aurora.

They would be considered dominant according to the first breeding. To an unrelated male. 7 babies. 6 auroras.

Thanks

Oh and the second breeding with the brother x sister cinny auroras produced all Auroras too. 6 eggs, 6 hatched, 2 super cinnys, 1 cinny, 3 normals.

It's difficult to see in the supers but its there.

In the original paring of aurora x Bradgord Cole cinny I decided that one of the cinny babies didn't have the gene based on the faded eye stripes, the black eyes, and the fact that it didn't lighten as it grew before I sold it.

More will be known after this season. The real test is putting it to light genes. The male cinny aurora breeder I have really looks like a very dirty low quality pastel. It blows my mind every time I look at him. If I were a CL seller and sold him as a cinny, he would most definitely end up on here under the is it a morph section because he really doesn't look like a cinny.
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 07-13-2013 at 11:30 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Decided to name this gene Aurora. Here's the story. It's long!

Here is why aurora has not been proven to be a dominant mutant gene.

First mating: aurora x non-aurora produced 6 aurora, 1 non-aurora.

If aurora is a dominant mutant gene. Presumably the female has an aurora gene paired with a normal gene, and the male has a pair of normal genes. Expectation is 1/2 aurora and 1/2 normal. Results do not fit the expectation but are not impossible.

If aurora is a recessive mutant gene. The female would have a pair of aurora genes, and the male has an aurora gene paired with a normal gene. Expectation is 1/4 aurora and 3/4 normal looking. Results do not fit the expectation but are not impossible.

Second mating: aurora x aurora mother produced 6 aurora and 0 normal babies.

If aurora is a dominant mutant gene, then both parents have one aurora gene paired with a normal gene. Expectation is 3/4 aurora babies, 1/4 normal babies. Results do not fit the expectation but are not impossible.

If aurora is a recessive mutant gene, then both parents have a pair of aurora genes. Expectation is 1/1 aurora babies. Results fit the expectation.

In other words, the breedings so far do not give enough information to reject the possibility that aurora is a recessive mutant gene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast