Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,358

2 members and 3,356 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Confused on hooking up more than 2 UTCs on Herpstat 2...

Ok. So initially I was set on purchasing 2 Ranco t-stats to control two individual UTCs on my ball's enclosure (one UTC is not adequate, as my apartment is around 69-70 degrees and the proper thermal gradient wouldn't be achieved), but after reading some horror stories regarding non-proportional t-stats, I've decided to bite the bullet and invest in a Herpstat 2. Now, I want the Herpstat 2 to individually control the UTCs on the warm and cool end of my enclosure, but I also wanted to hook up another heat pad to my blue tongue skink's enclosure that would be the same temperature as the heat pad on the low temp. end of my ball's cage (~80 degrees).

What I'm confused about is how to do this if there's only one probe? Can I just get an extension cord, apply the probe to the snake's enclosure and fidget with it until it's approximately 80, then by plugging in the skink's heat pad to the extension cord and connecting it to the t-stat, the skink's pad will also be 80? I have zero understanding of wiring pads together, and frankly it scares the crap out of me, so if someone could clarify how I could achieve setting up 3 heat pads (2 x at ~80 degrees, 1 X at ~90) on a Herpstat 2, that would be glorious. Thanks!

Thanks

Herpstat 2 has two probes, you need 1 probe for each heat source, if you need to control more than 2 I would go with a herpstat 4 which has 4 probes.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

3. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

SeSmith (04-02-2013)

Thanks

Re: Confused on hooking up more than 2 UTCs on Herpstat 2...

Quote Originally Posted by martin82531 View Post
    Herpstat 2 has two probes, you need 1 probe for each heat source, if you need to control more than 2 I would go with a herpstat 4 which has 4 probes.

That's what I thought as well, but if you watch the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcJz9Qdj9Y0 this guy has 3 x UTCs hooked up to one of the Herpstat's outlets, and 1 x UTC to the other one (at different temps I'm assuming). I'm just not sure how he was able to do that.

Thanks

I think it can be done its just not recommended

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The only way you can plug more than one uth into the same outlet on a tstat is, they have to be identical and being used in identical ways in identical cages. They will produce the same temps if used in this fashion. If you use two different size uth or two different makes you will have inconstant temps and one pad will be to hot or to cold.

When plugging more than one unit in a tstat outlet make sure you are not approaching the max operating load.

If you have identical setups the way to plug them in is, plug your uths into a power strip and then plug the power strip into the tstat. Your probe then needs to be placed in one of the cages. If your cages your controlling is stacked on or next to other separate cages the heat from their heat elements can transfer heat. Just like the top and bottom tubs in a rack will have a temp difference.

In a situation where a cage can be heated by another cage or factor it is usually best to place the tstat probe in that cage to make sure it stays within the desired temps. The other controlled cage will usually be just a bit cooler but not anything drastic. Also like in a rack, when you have vertically stacked cages it is usually best to place the probe in a middle cage.

I would never try to control two different sizes, types, or makes of uth with one probe. Running more than one item per tstat outlet has its own risks but doing it with different heaters is asking for trouble. Even if you set it up and think they are responding the same do not use them for your animals.

It does sound like you need a Herpstat 4 for the setup you are trying to control.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

SeSmith (04-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    The only way you can plug more than one uth into the same outlet on a tstat is, they have to be identical and being used in identical ways in identical cages. They will produce the same temps if used in this fashion. If you use two different size uth or two different makes you will have inconstant temps and one pad will be to hot or to cold.

When plugging more than one unit in a tstat outlet make sure you are not approaching the max operating load.

If you have identical setups the way to plug them in is, plug your uths into a power strip and then plug the power strip into the tstat. Your probe then needs to be placed in one of the cages. If your cages your controlling is stacked on or next to other separate cages the heat from their heat elements can transfer heat. Just like the top and bottom tubs in a rack will have a temp difference.

In a situation where a cage can be heated by another cage or factor it is usually best to place the tstat probe in that cage to make sure it stays within the desired temps. The other controlled cage will usually be just a bit cooler but not anything drastic. Also like in a rack, when you have vertically stacked cages it is usually best to place the probe in a middle cage.

I would never try to control two different sizes, types, or makes of uth with one probe. Running more than one item per tstat outlet has its own risks but doing it with different heaters is asking for trouble. Even if you set it up and think they are responding the same do not use them for your animals.

It does sound like you need a Herpstat 4 for the setup you are trying to control.
    Thanks for the help you two! I really appreciate it. Not to be annoying and press the matter...but because I will be using the same size and brand UTC, set at the same temp (one on ball's cool side, one on skink's cage), I technically could use a Herpstat 2 for these 2 UTCs? I say this because I would apply the probe to the ball's UTC, and set it to around 80, then apply the other UTC to the skink's enclosure, attach it to a power cord, and then to the t-stat...and because a skink's cool end can have high variability (low 70s to low 80s), the little temp fluctuation occurring from not having a probe wouldn't be a big deal. So with that in mind, is this something I could get away with?

Thanks
    Here is a quote from Aaron that also explains why not to use more than one tstat per heat source. http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...pstat-question

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    If one of the heat sources were to fail 1 of 4 things will happen:

1. The heat source that isn't being monitored by the thermostat stopes working and the cage gets cold and there isn't anything to warn you.

2. The heat source that isn't being monitored shorts out and gets really hot. The cage overheats and once again there isn't anything to warn you.

3. The heat source that is being monitored stops working and that cage goes cold. At the same the time The other cage gets really hot because the thermostat is trying to reheat the first cage.

4. The heat source being monitored shorts out and heat up. the thermostat detects this and reduces or cuts power going to the heat sources. Both cages go cold.

None of those situations are good, and they can be easily avoided by having 1 thermostat per heat source. Anything less is just being cheap and asking for disaster.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

10. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

SeSmith (04-02-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeSmith View Post
    Thanks for the help you two! I really appreciate it. Not to be annoying and press the matter...but because I will be using the same size and brand UTC, set at the same temp (one on ball's cool side, one on skink's cage), I technically could use a Herpstat 2 for these 2 UTCs? I say this because I would apply the probe to the ball's UTC, and set it to around 80, then apply the other UTC to the skink's enclosure, attach it to a power cord, and then to the t-stat...and because a skink's cool end can have high variability (low 70s to low 80s), the little temp fluctuation occurring from not having a probe wouldn't be a big deal. So with that in mind, is this something I could get away with?
    If you don't mind having a temp swing you could always go with a herpstat 2 for your balls and just pick up a hydrofarm for your skinks enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

12. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

SeSmith (04-02-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    All of what he said is true. That could happen. But I trust setting a herpstat up with strips more than I now trust hydrofarm. I bought one and it failed within five months. Using good quality uth and herpsats I have yet to have a problem.

With anything their is a risk. How putting uths on a strip for a good tstat is cheap but buying a $30 tstat is not is not clear to me.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin82531 View Post
    If you don't mind having a temp swing you could always go with a herpstat 2 for your balls and just pick up a hydrofarm for your skinks enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S
    That's a good idea, yah know...I'll probably do just that. Since the skink can have so much variation in temps, I'll probably just pick up a Hydrofarm t-stat for her. That way, I can have a looksee for mahself and see how the Hydrofarm stacks up to the Herpstat 2. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast