Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,200

0 members and 3,200 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Flexwatt or uth

Thanks

Flexwatt or uth

I am in the process of making a snake rack i am stuck between the flexwat or uth's. I will have a thermostat to regulate the temps. i found a herpstat for 100 on beanfarm.com does anyone know of any other sited that may offer the thermostats and flexwatt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    There really is no difference between flexwatt and uth they are both carbon heating elements. Flexwatt needs to be wired so at some level the ability of the person wiring it defines how well / safe it is. UTH are built at a factory and are UL approved in many cases. This can effect insurance and legal issues depending on local federal laws (Canada for example) There are a number of variations of both, flexwatt gets very hot generally (160ºF+) so failure of a t-stat can be very dangerous, some UTH also get very hot but not all. Ultratherms for example do not usually get over 100ºF the same is true for Kane pads. Personally unless I needed a number of heaters (multiple enclosures or rack) I would purchase a low heat UTH like a ultratherm (also carried by the bean farm) that in the event of a T-stat failure it simply does not get hot enough to cause severe burns or have a high fire risk. This increases the safety margin dramatically.

Thanks

Re: Flexwatt or uth

i seen the ultratherms on their site. the thing about those will be the 10 cords i will have to plug in. i still would want a stat to be able to regulate the temps. if i get the flexwatt i plan on getting the the clips and cord that they also sell. also i would get the herpstat intro.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Sorry I missed the rack no I'd go cable or flexwatt on a rack.

- - - Updated - - -

with a fail safe....

- - - Updated - - -

I might suggest a herpstat one as it calls into question if a fail safe is needed due to the over and under settings and the mechanical relay.