Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,306

1 members and 3,305 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Two headed carpets

So I ran across these pictures on tumblr (for some reason in the retic tag but I guess nobody's perfect) and I'm having a really difficult time finding a good source to them or anything that directly explains the situation of these two (four???) snakes. They were sourced as being produced by Prehistoric Pets but when investigating their site, I didn't find anything about them. I also traced the first image to a short thread on redtailboas.com but it went cold there too.

I dig the weird and unusual so I was a little disappointed to find that these babies appear to be dead if the crumpled spines are anything to go by.
    Really, such a shame too since they look like awesome carpets. :/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Two headed snakes do happen from time to time but generally they are dead straight out of the egg. Ones that do hatch out usually die right away, some that do survive usually don't last for more then a couple years. So really lucky ones can last a few years but that is really rare.

If you ate wanting one as a pet that probably ain't gonna happen the survival rate is too slim an because it is something special a snake that would normally go for $100, if it had 2 heads and looks like it has a better chance of survival,they can go for thousands. Most that do survived are also used for studies not pets.
    Always be Batman

Thanks

Re: Two headed carpets

I really wasn't considering making a purchase, I just thought they looked really interesting and I want to know if there was any more to this story other than "we randomly had two two-headed carpet pythons hatch out but then they died".

Granted, if I ever saw any bicephalic snake up for grabs on Kingsnake or something, I'd still be ready to snatch it up in a heartbeat!

Thanks
    Wow really interesting when that happens they do look really cool looking

Thanks

Cool Those belong to my friend.

I'm a collector of stuff like this and so is a few of my friends. I feel he paid alot for them dead. Most of my dead reptiles with two heads i pick up for $50 to $500. He has a huge collection of freaks of all type's and he owns these and many more. I have a carpet python name enoch that i got at 18 and im 32 and it looks like it died yesterday. Currently I let a few go but I have a conjoined beardie dragon, a three headed turtle, a conjoined twin turtle ( we bought it alive), a adult red ear slider with two head's, a two headed ball python, a two headed carpet python, a two headed pine snake that i want articulated, and a cyclopes corn snake. We have some live coming in and were always looking when this stuff turns up.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post
    I really wasn't considering making a purchase, I just thought they looked really interesting and I want to know if there was any more to this story other than "we randomly had two two-headed carpet pythons hatch out but then they died".

Granted, if I ever saw any bicephalic snake up for grabs on Kingsnake or something, I'd still be ready to snatch it up in a heartbeat!
    There probably wasn't more to that story unless "then they died" was followed by "a guy bought them" like was mentioned is what happened.

I hear about 2 headers being born every once and a while from other breeders but it is also just the simple story that you mentioned. Only once have I heard someone that got it to live a while and ended up selling it.
    Always be Batman

Thanks

I think Ben Siegel has a two headed milk snake. I don't remember if it was Ben or somebody else who has it though.
    Last edited by ball python 22; 08-18-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    1.0 normal ball python
    0.1 normal ball python
    0.1 quaker parrot
    1.0 motley anery corn snake

Thanks
    It's Ben Siegel. It's an albino milk snake I believe and he posts eating and drinking videos on it often. Look up Medusa two headed Honduran milk snake, it won't let me link on my phone.
    Last edited by Sama; 08-18-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Skagit Reptiles

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Recently there was a hognosed two headed available on the market trying to be sold for $10,000. It was a year old and supposedly fairing extremely well. Not sure what kind of market there is for such a thing, especially given the lack of guarenteed life span. I'd say, maybe Ripley's exhibits? MAYBE . . .
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks
    both of those look like carpondros to me (chondro x carpet hybrid). i wonder if that has something to do with why they came out like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast