Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,260

2 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member WarriorPrincess90's Avatar
    Thanks

Racks and Thermostats

Hello all!

I'm making plans to switch my BPs into a rack as I am looking to acquire a Butter, a Mojo, and a Pin within the next couple of years and having a rack will be much more economical. I am fond of the look of RhinoRaxx but I know some people have had some issues with the Boaphile, especially lately. I myself am WELL aware of his customer service issues, but have to admit that if the quality of his racks and cages is anything like the quality of his animals, it would be worth the wait. I also like that they are pre-assembled.

I am also looking at Reptile Basics, and really like their prices and wait time a lot better, but the look of the racks ...not as much. Plus, Boaphile makes 5 shelf racks, which would accommodate the new additions I'm looking into, while I only saw a 4 shelf rack for mid-sized and a 3 shelf for larger snakes on RB.

Thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Also, would it be better to purchase a rack for adults and then insert smaller tubs for younger snakes? Or just fill the adult size tub with all kinds of goodies to make them more secure?

Final question....do you only need one thermostat per rack? What kind should I get for a 5 shelf rack? And how does probe placement work? I believe you tape the probe to the flexwatt, but how does that monitor the temps with regard to the other shelves? And how does temp differ between levels/how does the thermostat compensate for that? Or how should I?

I realize there are a lot of questions in this post. Any input would be appreciated. I'm just trying to wrap my head around setting the whole thing up. I won't actually be ordering a rack system or buying the animals until probably two years from now. I need to graduate from college and start making some money first. Plus, I need the customs for my boas first. Those girls are growing like crazy! I'm hoping to order the customs for them at the end of the year, so that I have them by sometime next year and can start saving for the new BPs.

Again, thanks for any input!
    Last edited by WarriorPrincess90; 04-15-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Gramatical Errors

- Nakita

Thanks
    Before ya go any further your gonna find that the majority of people on here are gonna tellbyea aninal plastics for racks and herpstat for thermostat. Now with that said. Any plastic rack your gonna find out there is going to be fine. Proportional or non proportional thermostats will both work. Personally i use freedom breeders and helix and have for years. Thats my preference. Bow for a single plastic rack anything from rhino raxx, vision,aninal plastics etc will work just fine
    [IMG][/IMG]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snake lab For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (04-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    Reptile basics/ helix

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Ve-200 and im buying a reptile basics w/in the next month. Right now theyre in a homeade melamine rack.
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

Rob (04-15-2012)

Thanks
    Just my 2c....I ordered a Rhinoraxx on 3/16 and just received a FedEx tracking e-mail on 4/12, scheduled to be here on 4-17. Now if it does get here on Tuesday then I got an awesome shipping time.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Re: Racks and Thermostats

Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    Ve-200 and im buying a reptile basics w/in the next month. Right now theyre in a homeade melamine rack.
    Someone pointed out to me that the herpstats are better than the VE series. I'm getting a x2 thermostat and was going to get the VE-300x2, but was pointed towards the Herpstat and while the VE is much better looking, when comparing them head to head the Herpstat was better Check into it before deciding.
    1.0 Lesser (Lemmy)
    0.1 Enchi (Baby)
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Fire

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Racks and Thermostats

I have two Animal Plastics racks and love them both. Solid construction and quality units and the price is more than reasonable. I have a Helix on the quarantine rack and a Herpstat II on my collection; my choice and any future thermostats would be Herpstats. Helix works fine and is a quality unit but for the features, I prefer the Herpstats.

As to probe placement: yes, most recommendations would be to tape it to the Flexwatt and ensure as tight a seal so it reads accurately. On my 9 slot rack, I have a temperature variation of +/- 2 degrees F or so variation from the bottommost rack slot to the top (say 86 at the top rack and 83 on the bottom generally speaking); that's well within reason to me and my snakes do fine in that environment with the thermostat probe taped in the middle slot of the rack. Hope that helps and good luck with expanding your collection!
    Before all else, be armed. - Niccolo Machiavelli

10. The Following User Says Thank You to youbeyouibei For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (04-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Been using RBI IRIS Sweaterbox racks since I made the switch from cages. I've never had a complaint about them.

I've used both Herpstat and VE proportional thermostats and both work great.

I put my baby BPs straight in to the 32 qt tubs and just use extra hides to fill in the space.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

WarriorPrincess90 (04-15-2012)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    all my racks are home built, might step up to some plastic racks in the future but for now they are all work great.
    VE200s here, One running 3 1/2 racks(31 28qt tubs total), and another one running my bator

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    In my experience the biggest expense of a rack is the cost of heating the space. If this is not an issue the rack brand is not really important. If the room is cooler an enclosed rack would be better and in a very cool room a well insulated heavy rack. In all fairness racks don't do well in cool spaces I would suggest on heating a humidifying the space and get an open rack that allows lots of ventilation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast