Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,477

1 members and 3,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Question about Baytril Dosing

Ok so a few snakes have an RI so I went to a vet that specializes in Exotic pets. She was cool enough to give me enough Baytril to treat all my snakes however she stated she couldnt give me the dosage for the snakes that she had not seen.

I was trying to figure it out by using the 4 doses that were given to me but they dont match up. Here is what was given to me.

2171G = .11
    1505G = .05
    249G = .01
    473G = .02

Now I was told to administer daily for 14 days. The Baytril is 100mg/ml injectable.

So I was doing the math but none of the numbers added up.

For instance:
    .11 / 2171 = .00005067
    .05 / 1505 = .00003322
    .01 / 249 = .00004016
    .02 / 473 = .00004228

Since none of these matched up I took an average which was .00004158

The problem with this is using .00004158 my dosage for a snake that is 2304G would be .09 so my dosages seem low since 2304G = .09 but 2171 (what the vet perscribed) = .11

What am I doing wrong here? Anyone have any idea how to figure out dosing?

Every website I look at has different reccommended doses. One states 5mg, another is 25mg. I am totally confused.

just to give you an idea using my average idea this is a few of the dosages I came up with

1145G = .04
    1675G = .06
    1328G = .05
    2991G = .12
    2295G = .09
    1383G = .05
    2019G = .08
    2263G = .09
    1491G = .06
    1330G = .05

Anyway thats a few please let me know what your take is on it.

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Question about Baytril Dosing

Quote Originally Posted by Rat160 View Post
    Ok so a few snakes have an RI so I went to a vet that specializes in Exotic pets. She was cool enough to give me enough Baytril to treat all my snakes however she stated she couldnt give me the dosage for the snakes that she had not seen.

I was trying to figure it out by using the 4 doses that were given to me but they dont match up. Here is what was given to me.

2171G = .11
    1505G = .05
    249G = .01
    473G = .02

Now I was told to administer daily for 14 days. The Baytril is 100mg/ml injectable.

So I was doing the math but none of the numbers added up.

For instance:
    .11 / 2171 = .00005067
    .05 / 1505 = .00003322
    .01 / 249 = .00004016
    .02 / 473 = .00004228

Since none of these matched up I took an average which was .00004158

The problem with this is using .00004158 my dosage for a snake that is 2304G would be .09 so my dosages seem low since 2304G = .09 but 2171 (what the vet perscribed) = .11

What am I doing wrong here? Anyone have any idea how to figure out dosing?

Every website I look at has different reccommended doses. One states 5mg, another is 25mg. I am totally confused.

just to give you an idea using my average idea this is a few of the dosages I came up with

1145G = .04
    1675G = .06
    1328G = .05
    2991G = .12
    2295G = .09
    1383G = .05
    2019G = .08
    2263G = .09
    1491G = .06
    1330G = .05

Anyway thats a few please let me know what your take is on it.
    What is the concentration of Baytril that was prescribed? Most Baytril is prescribed at 2.27%.

Then you need to know the dosage. RIs that culture sensitive to Bayril are often dosed at 5 mg/kg. Often vets are too lazy to culture so they go with the strongest recommended dose which is 25 mg/kg. Sometimes vets prescribe a 10 mg/kg dose. You therefore need to know the dosage to finish your calculations.

The calculation you should use is dose x weight/concentration, where all units are converted to kg, mg and ml.

So in the case of an animal that weights 1000 grams, the injectable amount would be:

at 5 mg/kg dose = 0.22 ml or cc
    at 10 mg/kg dose = 0.44 ml or cc
    at 25 mg/kg dose = 1.1 ml or cc

You should not treat any of your animals without getting a culture done. That will determine first and foremost if the infection is even susceptible to Baytril. Secondly, if susceptible, it will dictate the dosage.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

DemmBalls (02-06-2012),Rat160 (02-06-2012)

Thanks
    The fact that you are confused and dont know what your doing with the treatment reinforces the fact that you should take the snakes to the vet. This is not something that should be done trial and error. The risk vs reward is to high. The fact the vet gave you baytril the way he did speaks volumes of the type of vet he or she is.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    What is the concentration of Baytril that was prescribed? Most Baytril is prescribed at 2.27%.

Then you need to know the dosage. RIs that culture sensitive to Bayril are often dosed at 5 mg/kg. Often vets are too lazy to culture so they go with the strongest recommended dose which is 25 mg/kg. Sometimes vets prescribe a 10 mg/kg dose. You therefore need to know the dosage to finish your calculations.

The calculation you should use is dose x weight/concentration, where all units are converted to kg, mg and ml.

So in the case of an animal that weights 1000 grams, the injectable amount would be:

at 5 mg/kg dose = 0.22 ml or cc
    at 10 mg/kg dose = 0.44 ml or cc
    at 25 mg/kg dose = 1.1 ml or cc

You should not treat any of your animals without getting a culture done. That will determine first and foremost if the infection is even susceptible to Baytril. Secondly, if susceptible, it will dictate the dosage.
    I asked the vet about that since she did not do a culture. The vet I went to is the only exotic vet in the area (Almost an hour from me) and comes highly recommended by my local zoo.

the vet I went to has two DVM's that have a combined experience with exotic pets of 28 years and they have posted several medical journals in relation to treating snakes. My vet stated that if the snakes have not been on Batryl before then they should be fine.

I will have to check on the dosage though.

Quote Originally Posted by snake lab View Post
    The fact that you are confused and dont know what your doing with the treatment reinforces the fact that you should take the snakes to the vet. This is not something that should be done trial and error. The risk vs reward is to high. The fact the vet gave you baytril the way he did speaks volumes of the type of vet he or she is.
    If you read my post I did take my snakes to the vet. However, its not feasible for me to take in 32 snakes. I know how to give baytril injections I simply was not sure on the dosing.

Since my vet did the doses for the 4 I took in I was trying to correctly dose the others. I appreciate your concern but Im sure my vet has more experience and the proper qualifications.

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    Well considering i get my medical knowledge of reptiles from the number 1 vet in the country and maybe the world i would disagree. If you have 32 snakes in need of antibiotics then something is horribly wrong with your husbandry. Resp in 32 snakes doesnt happen overnight. Any good vet will do a culture first to see if baytril is appropriate or maybe fortaz or something else. Now im kinda in the gray area with this cause i do have bayyril on hand and will use it sometimes but i am confident in what im dong and have been for years
    [IMG][/IMG]

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Another thing you should know is that Baytril causes necrosis at the injection site. A good exotics vet does not just hand the stuff out like candy without a culture and tell you to dose up all your snakes. It should be properly diluted and depending on the amount, each injection should be administered in 2 or 3 places so that the entire amount in the syringe is not being concentrated into one area.

If not done properly, you can end up with sores and scabby areas at the injection sites that turn dark and may or may not ever completely fade away.

Every snake reacts differently to it as well. Some may not have a problem, while others will.

This is why I always tell people to try to find an exotics vet. My vet only does birds and reptiles. I know not everyone has this option and if you don't, it's worth a few phone calls just to get some phone info from one. That way you may be able to help educate your own vet. Or at least give them something to go on so they may do some more research on their end.

Just make sure you have a diagnosis before you start medication all your animals in such a way. If you feel you don't need a culture for each one, or can't afford it, make sure you learn everything you can about Baytril first.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Fila (02-08-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Another thing you should know is that Baytril causes necrosis at the injection site. A good exotics vet does not just hand the stuff out like candy without a culture and tell you to dose up all your snakes. It should be properly diluted and depending on the amount, each injection should be administered in 2 or 3 places so that the entire amount in the syringe is not being concentrated into one area.

If not done properly, you can end up with sores and scabby areas at the injection sites that turn dark and may or may not ever completely fade away.

Every snake reacts differently to it as well. Some may not have a problem, while others will.

This is why I always tell people to try to find an exotics vet. My vet only does birds and reptiles. I know not everyone has this option and if you don't, it's worth a few phone calls just to get some phone info from one. That way you may be able to help educate your own vet. Or at least give them something to go on so they may do some more research on their end.

Just make sure you have a diagnosis before you start medication all your animals in such a way. If you feel you don't need a culture for each one, or can't afford it, make sure you learn everything you can about Baytril first.
    The vet I went to also is an exotics vet. They see everything from rats to snakes to sugar gliders etc. I am familiar with baytril and I trust my vet so I will go by what she says, and no all 32 snakes do not have RI, im sure but I am simply treating the room which my vet said will not be a problem because last time I checked taking 32 snakes to the vet can put a dent in anyone's pocket book. I am only treating those who show signs of an RI. however I needed to know the correct dosing.

lets see 4 snakes cost me $420 so if I took all 32 snakes that would be $3360 and I doubt most people have that to spend. I am familiar with injections was simply looking for correct dosage which I have acquired now thanks to a poster who actually read my post and gave me the information I needed instead of barraging my vet.

So thank you all for your comments.
    Last edited by Rat160; 02-06-2012 at 06:22 PM.

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    Good luck. Hope ya the best.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

injecting as in shots?
    0.1 Leopard Pied
    0.1 VPI Axanthic Het Pied
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pied

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldn't treat all 32 . If they show symptoms then ok treat. But if not then there is no need to 1. Stress out animals that are not sick 2. Waste meds you could hang onto for a later RI ( hope no more show up but just in case ) 3. Giving unneeded antibiotics will only get he animals body use to a drug. You treat every snake every time one has an RI and pretty soon baytril will no longer work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast