Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,599

2 members and 1,597 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl

View Poll Results: Which One?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Argentine B/W

22 55.00%
  • Red

10 25.00%
  • Blue

5 12.50%
  • Savannah Monitor

3 7.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Probably for the best. I'd still keep an open mind about them, but I don't think you should get an animal you already are afraid of. That fear leads to bad decisions and erratic movement, and would make an animal that could possibly turn a possibly calm animal into the very demon you fear! I've seen it happen with dogs, birds, cats, and snakes, and I have no doubt it could happen to a lizard. If you don't trust it or trust yourself with it, I wouldn't add it to your home!

Good luck with whichever you choose!

Thanks

Re: What Kind of Tegu Should I Get? POLL!

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    Probably for the best. I'd still keep an open mind about them, but I don't think you should get an animal you already are afraid of. That fear leads to bad decisions and erratic movement, and would make an animal that could possibly turn a possibly calm animal into the very demon you fear! I've seen it happen with dogs, birds, cats, and snakes, and I have no doubt it could happen to a lizard. If you don't trust it or trust yourself with it, I wouldn't add it to your home!

Good luck with whichever you choose!
    Thanks and a very wise comment. Everyone fears an animal.. I myself am terrified with spiders; I will never be able to have a spider as a companion lol but that is just me. Everyone has their own opinion

Thanks
    I adore tegus,my favorites are the blues,but i'm all down crazy about monitors,savannahs are not for beginners,they get about 4 to 5 feet,eat like bottomless pits require a BIG Enclosure,they love to dig. a beginner monitor would be an Ackie or Varanus Acanthurus...It's all up to you personally..But i myself,am preparing for a trios of them,for future experience & knowlegde, to be able to house some blue or yellow tree monitors.and it does help having past experiences of keeping lizards.Monitors are not to be a first time pet reptile...But it sound like you've had some hands on experience.Just keep in mind,cost,space...Good luck with what you decide & please post up some pics!!
    Last edited by scale_fever; 10-31-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Exotic Animals are like chips....You just can't have one

Thanks

black and white is the best

i have a b/w and he is so fun to have i have never had more fun

Thanks
    Get one that is alive.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Registered User Jonzin4BallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks

I just got a baby Golden. They seem to be not as popular due to thier reputation for aggression. Well my little guy has not shown any aggression what so ever during our couple of enteractions. Unless u count a little huffin he does, but i think it`s cute

Just another consideration to think about, and you would have one that not many have.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

John
    0.2 Normal Ball Pythons " Isis " & " Hestia "
    1.0 Spider Ball Python " Ra "
    1.0 Albino Ball Python " Apophis "
    0.1 Nicaraguan Boa PH Leopard " Pandora "
    1.0 Motley 66% Het Anery Boa " Camulus "
    0.1 Normal 66% Het Anery Boa " Satesh "
    1.0 Golden Tegu " Anubis "

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no breeders of columbian tegus in the states. I think they're still all farm raised and imported from South America. I'm sure this has something to do with their tendency to be more wild than their argentine cousins, which are now being bred in abundance in the states. Another thing to consider, blues and columbians don't hibernate while the argentine tegus(reds/B&Ws) do - sometimes for as many as 9 months of the year. I'll throw in a couple husbandry reminders for anybody considering getting one. Tegus LOVE to dig, so a suitably deep substrate will add to their general wellbeing. They also grow INCREDIBLY fast which makes them prone to MBD, proper lighting and diet is especially vital for these animals.

Thanks
    well what did you get? i know the pasadena expo already happened, and there is one in pamona in january.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12