Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

2 members and 3,226 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: What Is The Ideal Large Lizard To Care For?

Quote Originally Posted by LizardPants View Post
    What's your experience with reptiles other than Ball Pythons?
    Well, from reading the first part of my original post, I think one could tell I'm not planning to get one immediately. In the future, I would love to get a Tegu, or a Monitor, or an Iguana. But it's not probable at this time.

Also, to answer your question, I've never had a Ball Python, but I would like one. I have a Golden Gecko, and a Corn Snake. I have experience with a Bearded Dragon, and by experience, I mean that I made a bunch of mistakes with one. I feel I've learned from them, though. But at this moment, I don't feel confident that I could care for a big lizard, but eventually, I hope I will be.

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    To be honest, from my limited large lizard experience, if you're looking for something that is guaranteed to be well-tempered, easy to maintain and care for, and easy on the wallet (even though some individual animals are affordable, care/feeding is expensive), you're going to have to make some compromises in your ideals.

My one suggestion: I'm a huge fan of black and white tegus, heck tegus and general, and I wouldn't go any further than good ol' Varnyard Herps Inc. and their extreme giants.

I personally have had about a 50/50 relationship with green iguanas as far as temperament goes, some are just dolls and others are not only willing to inflict serious injury, but WAY more than capable.

Monitors are just needy in general, but very rewarding.
    Black and White Tegus look sweet. I saw a couple of videos across the internet of people's Tegus, and they seem to act like puppy dogs. If I wanted to one day have children, I think a Tegu would be most appropriate out of all the aforementioned lizards.

How different are all of these lizards from each other? What's going to be more expensive to feed and house? Which ones do I need to be more cautious with when handling?

Thanks
    there plenty of large lizards to choose from. all kinds of igauna, red tegus, b/w tegues. ackie monitors, giant bearded dragons, nile monitors, savanha monitors, CWD, panther chamelon, BTS, hmmm well thats all i can think of at the moment lol
    1.0 bearded dragon-rosco
    1.0 leopard gecko- zek
    1.0 green iguana- oscar
    0.2 normal BP- angel and diablo
    1.0 bumble bee- bumble bee
    0.1.0 pacman frog- sunny
    0.1 hamster- princess
    0.1 german sheperd- sadie
    1.0 fat cat-chuck

Banned
    Thanks

The thread is a bit old, however still front page. I want to make some points to anyone thinking of obtaining a large lizard.

First- No large lizard is "cheap". Period. If you are housing the animal properly you will be spending a decent amount of cash on food, housing, electricity etc. If you want cheep get a beta fish.

Second- no big lizard is suitable for free roaming a house. PERIOD. Floors of a human house can damage claws/toes of the animal. Humidity can not be properly maintained in the house. No house is going to be kept warm enough 24/7 for the lizards health etc. You can not meet the housing requirements in a home free-roaming. Build a cage, you'll get farther.

Third- None of the big lizards should be kept by anyone without some knowledge of what they are doing. Sorry OP, if you failed at keeping a bearded dragon, you do NOT need to own a large lizard for a long time.

The information given here is laughable. Tegus need tremendous care, can be temperamental, and can handle cats the same way as monitors. Iguanas can be testy and require lots of care, and Savannah monitors are probably one of the worst suggestions for a first captive large lizard you could ever suggest.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReclusiveDemon View Post
    Let's make pretend that I was seriously interested in investing in a big lizard. For example, some kind of Iguana, or Monitor Lizard.

If you have experience with any big lizards, what kind of large lizard is ideal, not just temperament wise, but also relative ease of maintenance, and not particularly expensive just to purchase it, and give it a good home.

What kind of big lizard do you think shines among all of the others?
    well if u can keep ya cat away i would go for a tegu lol but if not try a skink its not that big but blue tongue skinks or way cool
    SOME HUMANS CAN'T BE TRUSTED. thats why animals or mens best friend.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reggi-BP View Post
    well if u can keep ya cat away i would go for a tegu lol but if not try a skink its not that big but blue tongue skinks or way cool
    No on the tegu. Get a blue tongue, not big and easy to care for.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmreptiles View Post
    the thread is a bit old, however still front page. I want to make some points to anyone thinking of obtaining a large lizard.

First- no large lizard is "cheap". Period. If you are housing the animal properly you will be spending a decent amount of cash on food, housing, electricity etc. If you want cheep get a beta fish.

Second- no big lizard is suitable for free roaming a house. Period. Floors of a human house can damage claws/toes of the animal. Humidity can not be properly maintained in the house. No house is going to be kept warm enough 24/7 for the lizards health etc. You can not meet the housing requirements in a home free-roaming. Build a cage, you'll get farther.

Third- none of the big lizards should be kept by anyone without some knowledge of what they are doing. Sorry op, if you failed at keeping a bearded dragon, you do not need to own a large lizard for a long time.

The information given here is laughable. Tegus need tremendous care, can be temperamental, and can handle cats the same way as monitors. Iguanas can be testy and require lots of care, and savannah monitors are probably one of the worst suggestions for a first captive large lizard you could ever suggest.
    Currently have
    2.3 pastel's
    0.1 spider
    0.1 normal
    1.1 100% het albino's
    1.0 Albino ( he will live at work but i get to take care of him)
    1.0 Cinnamon
    1.0 Fire

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MMReptiles View Post
    The thread is a bit old, however still front page. I want to make some points to anyone thinking of obtaining a large lizard.

First- No large lizard is "cheap". Period. If you are housing the animal properly you will be spending a decent amount of cash on food, housing, electricity etc. If you want cheep get a beta fish.

Second- no big lizard is suitable for free roaming a house. PERIOD. Floors of a human house can damage claws/toes of the animal. Humidity can not be properly maintained in the house. No house is going to be kept warm enough 24/7 for the lizards health etc. You can not meet the housing requirements in a home free-roaming. Build a cage, you'll get farther.

Third- None of the big lizards should be kept by anyone without some knowledge of what they are doing. Sorry OP, if you failed at keeping a bearded dragon, you do NOT need to own a large lizard for a long time.

The information given here is laughable. Tegus need tremendous care, can be temperamental, and can handle cats the same way as monitors. Iguanas can be testy and require lots of care, and Savannah monitors are probably one of the worst suggestions for a first captive large lizard you could ever suggest.
    X3

Yeah, the advice here is laughable. Lots of "I don't know but..."

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nor_cal1980 View Post
    I don't personaly know, but I hear iguanas are a pain in the butt to care for.
    iquanas as babies are great, I had one for many years as a teen. however I made the big mistake and let him roam the basement freely at around 4 years of age and he became territorial and would not let us go down there. As soon as he heard the basement door open, he would run over to the bottom of the stairs and start whipping his tail at you. and man it hurts.

Thanks
    lol awesome

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTownGuido View Post
    iquanas as babies are great, I had one for many years as a teen. however I made the big mistake and let him roam the basement freely at around 4 years of age and he became territorial and would not let us go down there. As soon as he heard the basement door open, he would run over to the bottom of the stairs and start whipping his tail at you. and man it hurts.
    with iguanas u need to continue to handle him and work on "taming him.
    The moment u loosen up on the training, in a short amount of time, it will have become territorial again

Iguanas are a pain to care for. I will never own another one besides the one i own now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12