Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 878

1 members and 877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 19,924 Times in 11,906 Posts
    As previously suggested, she needs things with traction and to climb on to improve her body condition- as it is, she's got nothing. You did say you're making something but she's been without for 11 years, I assume, so what do you expect?

As hides go, those are awfully tall & not a bit "cozy" or safe-feeling as most snakes seem to enjoy- though I can't speak for this species on that.

She needs some real environmental "enrichment"- some things to work her muscles on. When I had a large boa, I used indoor-outdoor carpet as substrate- it's easily washed, & offers great traction. And on top of her hide, I used a carpet mat with rubberized non-slip backing so she could comfortably climb on & off for basking- again, snakes need traction to work their muscles against- smooth surfaces don't do a thing.

Have you ever seen someone put a snake on a glass top table? The snake can hardly move as it's so slick. Snakes push off surfaces somewhat like ice skaters do with their blade edges, only they're using their muscles & belly scutes. (& yes, I used to ice skate) As it is, her home looks more like an office cubicle...not anything a snake would be comfortable in. I half-expect to see a typewriter & a telephone in there. There's a lot of air space- but snakes don't fly- they need things to hold onto, things to climb on & explore.

Snakes can feel very stressed from such an open (& very illuminated) environment, or from repeated vet visits, without ever showing visible or measurable signs- but they just may not do well. Stress impacts their immune system. Snakes are stoic creatures- it's up to us to understand & provide for their needs if you expect them to have good health & longevity, as opposed to just existing.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 07-17-2023 at 09:00 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (07-17-2023),Homebody (07-17-2023),Ruby (07-18-2023)