Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,701

1 members and 2,700 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat issues

Registered User ImBadAtUsernames's Avatar
    Thanks

Heat issues

I am getting my first snake this weekend so I am scrambling to get all the temps and humidity right. So with the heating pad, It heats fine with the thermostat but when my thermostat says one temp, the temp gun says another. Yes, The probe is in the middle of the pad. I have put substrate over it too and maybe i got a bad substrate but it is NOT heating. The heat pad is around 90 degrees but above the substrate (1/2 - 1 inch in that spot) Is around 77 degrees. I am really confused why t his is such a difference with such a small layer of substrate. I have been waiting hours and it is not warming. Really confused... Also is the heat pad too small? I have a 36 x 18 x 12 (40 gallon low tank) and this is my heat pad https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Might be good to mention Im getting a ball python

Thanks
    Heat pads don't heat through much substrate. Only use a thin layer of it. Just think about how insulation works on cups, houses, your jackets, lots of things. Even though the pad is 90f under the glass the top may be a little cooler.

Thanks
    That's actually how it's supposed to be! Many people use a uth + bulbs above the enclosure to keep the air temps up. Do you have a bulb? Ceramic heat emitters are great because they don't put out light.

A uth is meant to be belly heat, they don't typically do very well raising air temps. Although the temp on top of the substrate seems low to you, you should leave the thermostat set to 90 degrees. Raising the thermostat can be dangerous.A ball python can and will dig down in the substrate and touch the glass, and if you turn it up your snake could get injured.

I will say though you could probably take out some substrate. For being right over the uth, 1 inch is kind of thick. If it's thinner (1/2 inch or even a little less in that area) heat can rise up a little easier.

Thanks
    i had the exact problem when i got mine. what i do is put a bit more substrate under the probes then just a tiny bit on top. eventually the substrate will heat up and stay pretty consitent.. i put the warm hide right on top too. dont stress it too much though your snake will be fine while you work it all out, youve done your homework so itll be all good

Thanks

Re: Heat issues

I’m thanks for the reply! Took out half the substrate so now it’s very thin. (Above substrate around 85 glass around 90) this is ok for the warm side? I do not have a bulb and don’t want to get one if I don’t have to to save money

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ball marley View Post
    i had the exact problem when i got mine. what i do is put a bit more substrate under the probes then just a tiny bit on top. eventually the substrate will heat up and stay pretty consitent.. i put the warm hide right on top too. dont stress it too much though your snake will be fine while you work it all out, youve done your homework so itll be all good
    Yeah um I HOPE I am reading that completely wrong?????? Probe NOT in enclosure and you should be monitoring the hottest surface your animal can touch. Psst they do burrow and if you have your probe buried in the substrate where it shouldnt be and can be moved you are not properly monitoring your heat source.

The point of a no contact thermometer is to check the temperature under the substrate. You will then adjust your thermostat to get the readings you want on the thermometer. Go by the thermometer number not the thermostat.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-30-2019),CALM Pythons (01-29-2019),Kira (01-29-2019),MissterDog (01-29-2019)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImBadAtUsernames View Post
    I’m thanks for the reply! Took out half the substrate so now it’s very thin. (Above substrate around 85 glass around 90) this is ok for the warm side? I do not have a bulb and don’t want to get one if I don’t have to to save money
    90 on the glass is fine. Stop worrying about on top of the substrate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (01-30-2019)

Thanks

I’ve never seen people placing it on the outside. I’ll change it now thanks for telling me.

Thanks

So I put it in there and now there is a giant opening in the heat pad is that ok?

Thanks
    no not under the glass thats silly thats not right at all and if you peel off the heatpad it usually ruins it. yes you make sure the snake is not getting down on the glass of course but theyre not sand boas lol. no need for the attitude that guy, has im not here for that. a couple inches of substrate on the warm side so they wont touch the glass has always workeds for me..if not change it. what i do works just fine and always has or id say nothing. a constant 32c on the warm side and 26c on the cool side. happy snake..never skipped a meal and always a perfect shed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast