Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,743

2 members and 2,741 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,907 Times in 11,893 Posts

Re: Wiggles strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Well, that didn't work. He struck the hook, then my gloves. It occurred to me afterward that he's due for a shed. Maybe that's why he's acting so crazy.
    That's one reason I don't advocate or use "hook training"- hooks aren't so good for a snake's mouth & I've HAD snakes that grabbed & hung onto a hook. A more harmless way to "change the channel" they're on is a brief spray mist of cool water in the face. And no, it's not being "mean"- snakes in the wild can be seen drinking rain that falls in their face too. (I also use scent- I blow my scent from across my hand in their direction & watch for them to get the message that it's me & not food. And sometimes I use something like a box lid to block their view. What works the best depends on the snake & the mood they're currently in.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-10-2023 at 10:13 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-10-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's one reason I don't advocate or use "hook training"- hooks aren't so good for a snake's mouth & I've HAD snakes that grabbed & hung onto a hook. A more harmless way to "change the channel" they're on is a brief spray mist of cool water in the face. And no, it's not being "mean"- snakes in the wild can be seen drinking rain that falls in their face too. (I also use scent- I blow my scent from across my hand in their direction & watch for them to get the message that it's me & not food. And sometimes I use something like a box lid to block their view. What works the best depends on the snake & the mood they're currently in.)
    The box lid worked. I thought he might try to strike the hand holding the box lid, but he didn't. I'm still puzzled by the change in behavior. Last night, he was in the same posture he's been in the past few nights, half out of his hide coiled and ready to strike. Hopefully, his upcoming shed will chill him out.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2023)

Thanks

The box lid worked. I thought he might try to strike the hand holding the box lid, but he didn't. I'm still puzzled by the change in behavior. Last night, he was in the same posture he's been in the past few nights, half out of his hide coiled and ready to strike. Hopefully, his upcoming shed will chill him out.
    Just interrupting their view does wonders for many snakes- & most of our pets aren't motivated to go around it. Best of all, there's nothing about a cardboard flat that a snake can hurt themselves on.
    "Hook training" sounds flashy, but it's just not my choice, & I've tried various ways to disrupt their desire to strike. (Hint- choose a box lid or other object that's big/long enough so your hand is NOT within reach- especially for a snake w/ heat pits.)

Thanks

Re: Wiggles, the Children's Python

Crazy Bitey Wiggles is gone. Curious Delightful Wiggles has returned. Long live Curious Delightful Wiggles!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-12-2023)

Thanks

Crazy Bitey Wiggles is gone. Curious Delightful Wiggles has returned. Long live Curious Delightful Wiggles!
    You scared me for a second there- all I saw was the word "gone" & I was thinking he escaped again. Hey snakes are entitled to have moods too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-12-2023)

Thanks

Trapezoidal Wedge Hide Update

I finished my trapezoidal wedge hide, but I'm very disappointed with it. It's been sitting in Wiggles's enclosure for weeks, but I haven't seen him in it even once. He'll bask on top of it, but he won't go in it. As a result, I've relegated it to his tub with the recycled packing material. If Wiggles doesn't use it there, I'll relegate it to the garbage pale. Photos of the finished product:

https://imgur.com/ZCgeftM
    https://imgur.com/yUD07lL.

My wife did such a nice job decorating the top too.

I'm not sure if was the theory or the execution that was flawed. Oh well, I haven't let it stop me from innovating. His current hide could be described as the love child of this design and my son's laptop packaging that Wiggles loves so much. I'll post about that design once I know whether it works or not.
    Last edited by Homebody; 05-27-2023 at 10:21 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2023),dakski (05-27-2023)

Thanks

Re: Trapezoidal Wedge Hide Update

I finished my trapezoidal wedge hide, but I'm very disappointed with it. It's been sitting in Wiggles's enclosure for weeks, but I haven't seen him in it even once. He'll bask on top of it, but he won't go in it. As a result, I've relegated it to his tub with the recycled packing material. If Wiggles doesn't use it there, I'll relegate it to the garbage pale. Photos of the finished product:

https://imgur.com/ZCgeftM
    https://imgur.com/yUD07lL.

My wife did such a nice job decorating the top too.

I'm not sure if was the theory or the execution that was flawed. Oh well, I haven't let it stop me from innovating. His current hide could be described as the love child of this design and my son's laptop packaging that Wiggles loves so much. I'll post about that design once I know whether it works or not.
    Wow, you both worked hard on that- it looks really cool- that's sad that Wiggle's isn't appreciative- not yet anyway? I think it might just take a while longer for him to accept it (new materials smell funny)- & maybe he doesn't care for what's inside? Try some moss or something snuggly in there. Or put a "snake-snack" in there, lol.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-27-2023)

Thanks

Re: Trapezoidal Wedge Hide Update

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Wow, you both worked hard on that- it looks really cool- that's sad that Wiggle's isn't appreciative- not yet anyway? I think it might just take a while longer for him to accept it (new materials smell funny)- & maybe he doesn't care for what's inside? Try some moss or something snuggly in there. Or put a "snake-snack" in there, lol.
    Yeah, I put too much into that hide to toss it willy-nilly. It'll get a good long stay in the tub before consider throwing it out. To use a baseball analogy, it disappointed in the major league so it's been sent down to the minors. If it does well there, it'll get another shot at the big leagues. If it doesn't, well, that'll just be too bad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-27-2023)

Thanks

Wiggles and I had a fun time today. It's the last weekend of the month, so I decided to clean his enclosure. Usually I put him on/in an activity station while I clean both his upper terrarium and lower tub. I decided on a different strategy this time. To make it easier on Wiggles and me, I decided to just clean the half he wasn't using. Later, I would clean the other half. He was in the terrarium, so I decided to clean the tub. Unfortunately, Wiggles found my activity very interesting and he came out to investigate. Since, I couldn't supervise him while I was cleaning, I put him in his pet tent, and, since he was out of the enclosure anyway, I decided to clean the whole thing.

Once I was finished, I decided to put him back. First I spent some time, watching him as he explored his tent and the various recycled containers I had filled it with. I really enjoy watching him go in and out and though all the boxes and bags. Then, I unzipped the flap to let him out. I put my hands in front of the enclosure such that he had to cross them to get out. I'm been trying to teach Wiggles to trust me enough to climb onto my bare hands. He's done it before, but he's still pretty reluctant. He took a while to think it over. He tried to get around them, but, when he saw that he couldn't, he took the chance and climbed out onto me. Once he was out, I put my hand in front of him again, and he climbed on my hand again. At this point, he had been out of his enclosure for quite a while, so I put him back. Seeing Wiggles's trust in me growing is very fulfilling.

I think a lot about what I would say to anyone considering a Children's python as a pet. What is it about these snakes that makes them special? I've decided that, in short, I would say this, "If you're looking for a small, easy to care for, and fun to interact with snake, they're tough to beat."
    Last edited by Homebody; 05-29-2023 at 09:20 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-29-2023),dakski (05-29-2023)

Thanks

Great setup there! Reading this made me realise I really need to add a Children's Python Care sheet to https://ballpythonbreeder.co.uk/

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpbuk For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2023),Homebody (06-04-2023)

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast