Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

2 members and 3,267 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

*puts on scolding suit* I had done so good with my water monitor...

but i had a TOTAL impulse/cuteness buy today. I was getting feeders for my beardies and my chameleons today and some dude brought in a clutch of freshly hatched Sav's and was trying to sell/give ( i mean literally was asking for $2 an animal for the whole lot) and the owner RELUCTANTLY took them. I was tlaking to the guy after and he had the clutch and was used to breeding Sav's and lost his house and had 2 weeks to get out and was unloading his WHOLE collecction. Snakes, monitors chameleons everything, i almost feel bad he said he has about 35+ herps to unload way to quickly. (infact i might pick up a jacksonii and a carpet from him, but onto the story)

I go back into the store and the owner who knows me pretty well asks me if i want a monitor, and after quickyl dismissing the idea in my head and politely saying no, i cant, i just got a water, wtf am i thinking, i felt myself saying "well idk..." and the owner who knows me pretty well and understood my internal struggle, got me with the, I know that if i put them out there some mom is going to come in and buy one for her kid thinking its like a beardie and then they are up a creek
    so ten minutes later i was walking out of the store with a baby Sav that i paid $3 for lol. I know it was a total impulse/bad buy, but i do at least know what im in for and have been done a bunch of monitor research already i think ill be ok.

I have him in a 3 1/2x16x16 with a 110-115* elevated basking spot, 83-87* ambients (hes in a different corner of my room than my water and doesnt get as much cool air) and ~40% humididty. Hes on 50/50 mix of decomposed granite/virgin topsoil mix and has about 4-6" of burrowing depth. I didnt know about how big of a water dish for these guys so his is only about 2" deep. Hes eating medium-large dusted crickets and seems to be pretty chill. Oh and hes about 6" long. While i will admit i pry havent done enugh research, i know that i will within the next day and a half before work/school hits me good agian and i only have enough time for basic interaction with my herps instead of research/play time.

I know, scold me, but damn hes so cute lol

Here is El Greco, me and the fiance tend to name our same species herps after the same things and our other monitor is Monet (her favorite artist) and mine is El Greco, so bam, name time lol

Retics: 0.1 Sulawesi Lady 0.1 Bali Yellow Head Goldielocks 1.0 Super Tiger Shere Khan 1.0 Purple Tiger Lucien
    Pythons: 0.1 Coastal Carpet Tinkerbell 0.1 Black Blood Toothless Boas: 1.0 Surinam RUCA
    Dont forget 2.2.2 Cresteds 0.0.2 Sulcatas and 0.0.1 Desert Hariy!!!

Thanks

Re: *puts on scolding suit* I had done so good with my water monitor...

Ugh I have been volunteering with some folks that do reptile shows and they have a juvie sav, and I am doing everything I can to stay the hell out of the local pet store because they just received some hatchling savs, and I am NOT in the mood to hear it from my wife lol.

Amazing living dinosaurs them things are. I love em. I hope he grows into the perfect puppy-lizard for you.
    ]

Thanks

That thing looks like it's on death's door.

Thanks

I still on the fence about him. Her is eating and drinking as of this morning and looks a lot better than when I brought him home for
    $ 3 I wont be all that heart broken if he doesn't make it figure I can atleast give him a chance he powered through about 20 crickets this morning and climbed up on his log and started baking under the heat and uvb so I have my fingerscrossed
    Retics: 0.1 Sulawesi Lady 0.1 Bali Yellow Head Goldielocks 1.0 Super Tiger Shere Khan 1.0 Purple Tiger Lucien
    Pythons: 0.1 Coastal Carpet Tinkerbell 0.1 Black Blood Toothless Boas: 1.0 Surinam RUCA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLuck13 View Post
    I still on the fence about him. Her is eating and drinking as of this morning and looks a lot better than when I brought him home for
    $ 3 I wont be all that heart broken if he doesn't make it figure I can atleast give him a chance he powered through about 20 crickets this morning and climbed up on his log and started baking under the heat and uvb so I have my fingerscrossed
    You should be commended for taking it on, but based on my experience with countless situations like this, don't be surprised, as you said, if it tanks.

Just as an aside, hopefully the screen topped aquarium in the photos is not what it's in? The difference between a hatchling making it and not making it is astoundingly dependent on humidity. With a basking light and a screen top, hatchlings are more susceptible to being dried out and "cooked".

Good luck.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to allergenic For This Useful Post:

slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

When I rescued my Savannah monitor, it looked way worse that that, so I guess you can't always think of the worse either. Good luck to you, hope yours is a fighter too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allergenic View Post
    You should be commended for taking it on, but based on my experience with countless situations like this, don't be surprised, as you said, if it tanks.

Just as an aside, hopefully the screen topped aquarium in the photos is not what it's in? The difference between a hatchling making it and not making it is astoundingly dependent on humidity. With a basking light and a screen top, hatchlings are more susceptible to being dried out and "cooked".

Good luck.
    If the screen top aquarium is what you are using, you could get plexi glass and zip tie it over the screen and cut out holes for your lights, or just build a new lid out of wood. If you build on though, just make sure you seal it really good so you don't grow mold.

Thanks

"At death's door" is pretty much the impression I had as well, thin, hip bone poking out, etc.

Good luck with it. You've got to learn to say "no". I am offered all kinds of lovely herps bi-weekly when I go for feeders. Free. Saying no is tough, but ultimately better for the animals I do have.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mumps For This Useful Post:

slayer (04-21-2010)

Thanks

keep us updated, i'm interested in it's progress.
    good luck!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allergenic View Post

Good luck.
    that isnt the tank he is in, he is in a tank, but it has a plexiglass top covering close to 75ish%. What would be good humidity for a hatchling?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast