Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,691

2 members and 2,689 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,585
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, masdiprizio
    Thanks

May be a silly question on F/T rats

How long do f/t rats keep in the freezer? I assume they are like anything else and can get freezer burn. We are having a dreadful time finding a reputable feeder source near the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. We ran out of feeders and the ones I ordered from the vendor we got them from originally at Repticon haven't shipped yet. It's been 7 days since Lemondrop ate last. As a last resort we went to Petco, but they only have the f/t rats sized by small, medium, large. Even the smallest one in the bag I think is too big for her - it's about 60g and what we had been feeding her were 19-29g. I don't want to give her something too big because I've read it takes BPs a while to heal from regurgitation. So we're here hoping the order comes in soon, or maybe we can go back to Petco to get a frozen mouse for her. I'm thinking when the Repticon is here again we need to stock up on frozen rats. Is that a thing people do?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,926 Times in 11,906 Posts
    Freezer burn is only a cosmetic issue (to humans, not snakes); it's dehydration that happens to frozen food, but doesn't harm anything but the appearance.

Best to use frozen ratsicles within a year, but they don't really go bad unless your power has been off or they've been allowed to thaw & refreeze for any reason. "Germs" aren't killed by freezing, they're just sleeping, waiting to be warm enough to party again. As with even your own food, if frozen prey smells off or your snake refuses it, take his word for it & toss it.

Stocking up on frozen food is surely the cost effective way to go. Also, if you can use a vacuum sealer, that is SO much better to keep food (including snake food) freshest. Seal pouches with the # you'll use in one feeding so you don't have to keep unsealing them.

If you're buying frozen feeders from a show, be sure to take an ice chest for the return trip. Yes, that's a thing people do. Otherwise, shipping on ice is very expensive.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-05-2024 at 02:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Rai (05-10-2024),sweetcastle (05-05-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 447 Posts
    Many snakes will eat old (6 months+) prey, some might turn their noses up.

"what we had been feeding her were 19-29g" -- that's a pup. Including shipping, 25 pups cost $69 at Big Cheese -- less than $3 each. Unless you really like the quality of the prey items from your current vendor, you might consider this.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-05-2024),Homebody (05-05-2024),Rai (05-10-2024),sweetcastle (05-05-2024)

Thanks

Re: May be a silly question on F/T rats

Thanks very much for the advice! That gives me some peace of mind for stocking up and we do have a vacuum sealer, so that's handy to know as well. Hadn't thought of doing that to the rats.
    We learned the hard way on shipping costs...it was as much for the shipping as it was for the rats. But it comes packed with dry ice and my husband is nerding out about playing with the dry ice, so there's that.

That leads me to another question... would you think we're ok to wait for the ones I ordered or should we get a frozen mouse to give her? I'm thinking it's ok to wait a few more days, but I don't want her to starve either.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Including shipping, 25 pups cost $69 at Big Cheese -- less than $3 each. Unless you really like the quality of the prey items from your current vendor, you might consider this.
    Thank you for the reference - I'll check them out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetcastle For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (05-05-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcastle View Post
    ...That leads me to another question... would you think we're ok to wait for the ones I ordered or should we get a frozen mouse to give her? I'm thinking it's ok to wait a few more days, but I don't want her to starve either.
    Snakes are "designed" by nature to fast. They don't eat on schedule in the wild, only in [some of] our homes. I personally don't stick to a feeding schedule. And unless your snake is in bad shape (chronically underfed) I think you're fine "waiting a few days"...she won't starve. Probably won't even notice.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (05-05-2024),Malum Argenteum (05-05-2024),Rai (05-10-2024),sweetcastle (05-05-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think you're fine "waiting a few days"...she won't starve. Probably won't even notice.
    Thank you! I guess I'm projecting from my experience with our cats. If they can even see the bottom of the food bowl, they act they're dying of starvation. lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetcastle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-05-2024),Rai (05-10-2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcastle View Post
    Thank you! I guess I'm projecting from my experience with our cats. If they can even see the bottom of the food bowl, they act they're dying of starvation. lol
    Yes, cats, dogs & most humans are a whole different thing when it comes to meals.