Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,451

1 members and 2,450 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Incubator vs. Natural

What are the pro's and con's of these two methods of taking care of the eggs? I had a bit of a crash course a few years ago, when I got a female snake from a friend that had tried to breed it with a male (just for the heck of it), and gave up hope... But when I had her in my possession, she laid eggs, one day... As soon as that happened, I called my friend who breeds snakes at one of the local stores, and he tried to take care of them for me... They were all duds, but one looked promising... It was just an unfertilized egg that looked real healthy.

This struck my interest, and I did my research and started breeding them myself. I had always let the female take care of her clutch. It seemed promising. Of six or seven eggs, I'd have four or five that would make it through to the hatching process.

I am breeding again. I have never used an incubator... I'm considering purchasing one. How easy are the eggs to manage within one? What are the pro's and con's between using an incubator or letting the female just go with it as nature intended?

Is it worth the money to purchase the incubator?

Thanks for all and any input, guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    You could build an incubator for a fraction of the cost of purchasing one, as far as maternal incubation a few members here have sucessfully done it.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    I am actually quite interested in how you Naturally hatch them such as substrate humidity and temp? i know the incubator temps and i even plan to build one someday...but a natural birth seems kinda cool also are they in a tub or a tank I MUST KNOW! lol

Everything Will be ok in the end
    If it's not ok....
    It's not the end

1.1 Normal "Akuma / Leila"
    1.0 Pastel "Ryu"

Thanks
    Incubator = you control the entire process
    Natural = mama snake controls the entire process, you're just the sidekick.

There are pros and cons to both.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Registered User LOSTCOAST_BALLZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    i honestly think the natural way is a bit odd. I realize the fascination of the "wild animal" but think about it most balls are kept in RACKS! lol. with 0 substrate the genes and animals are the focus not the habitat. obviously this is my opinion and also why would u want to put all this effort and $ into something (clutch) and put your animals through all that stress to not reap your reward. I dunno either way interesting thread.

Thanks

Re: Incubator vs. Natural

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
    I am actually quite interested in how you Naturally hatch them such as substrate humidity and temp? i know the incubator temps and i even plan to build one someday...but a natural birth seems kinda cool also are they in a tub or a tank I MUST KNOW! lol
    Same temp is normal ball python set-up. I raised the humidity to 75-80% the entire time. I provided a lay-box - that is, a bigger hide that can hold the mother with the eggs.

My snake laid when she was in the glass tank. It is relatively more difficult to maintain stable temperature and humidity in the tank, so I moved her and the eggs to a plastic tub.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Byrdie (01-05-2011)

Registered User LOSTCOAST_BALLZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    wat was ur succes rate? 100%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTCOAST_BALLZ View Post
    i honestly think the natural way is a bit odd. I realize the fascination of the "wild animal" but think about it most balls are kept in RACKS! lol. with 0 substrate the genes and animals are the focus not the habitat. obviously this is my opinion and also why would u want to put all this effort and $ into something (clutch) and put your animals through all that stress to not reap your reward. I dunno either way interesting thread.
    The racks are even easier than the tub. You don't have to provide a lay-box... the entire thing can be the lay-box (just like you don't need a hide).

Not sure what you mean by "all that stress to not reap your reward".

Being a woman, it is always interesting to me that people treat pregnancy as a medical event. It is not. It's just a normal part of the life cycle. Hence, a lot of people prefer the midwife over an OB. The OB is only there when the event becomes a medical concern (complications such as pre-eclampsia, etc.).

Anyway, a ball python is the same - laying of eggs and seeing it through hatching is not a medical event - it's just a natural part of the life cycle. Yes, it takes a lot of energy for a ball python to incubate its eggs but if you have a healthy snake to start off with, it is not a big deal. The snake will continue to eat while taking care of the eggs to replenish that energy expended.

Many of us are not in it for the $. We are in it for the joy of being an active part of nature.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

BEasy119 (01-06-2011),PitOnTheProwl (01-05-2011),Quiet Tempest (01-09-2011),Zach (01-06-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I moved her and the eggs to a plastic tub.
    What about substrate just some paper towel or did you actually use something like eco earth?
    Last edited by Byrdie; 01-05-2011 at 02:54 AM. Reason: oops lmao

Everything Will be ok in the end
    If it's not ok....
    It's not the end

1.1 Normal "Akuma / Leila"
    1.0 Pastel "Ryu"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTCOAST_BALLZ View Post
    wat was ur succes rate? 100%
    Mine wasn't 100%. I made the mistake of making too big a cut on the eggs - it was my first clutch - it looked like Edward Scissorhands got hold of the eggs.

Quiet Tempest have 100% hatch rate on hers year after year as well as some others on this forum.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

13. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Quiet Tempest (01-09-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast