Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,413

3 members and 3,410 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: venomoid?

Thanks

Re: venomoid?

Quote Originally Posted by zeion97 View Post
    That's true, most Burmese and even RTB's that are docile get the "well they can't hurt a fly" when the truth is they can kill you, and it can happen.. every animal has its risk even cats or dogs. And yes, it's true venomous can be worked with alone, and large constrictors need multiple people to be worked with safely. And I will say, I have a more temperamental 5 foot male Burmese, and I never work with him alone. (Especially after been bit, and having my arm constricted) needless to say none of these animals should be "banded" just Because they're dangerous.. though on a lighter note... I don't believe a 8 year old kid who has no experience, and no one in there family has experience should own a large constrictor or Even a hot.
    None of my RTB's could kill me.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

just as a side note,,, i just read in the paper (here in south ga.) that some 22year old kid bought a momba from someone at an exit off the side of the road. he got bit,, there,, at the side of the road... aparentaly he was rushed to the hospital and survived... im asuming that "venom 1" (i think thats whats its called) flew the antivenin here from Fla... but thats just my asumption.... but im pretty sure that south Ga doesent keep momba antivenin on hand.
    what was the person/persons doing having these transactions on the side of the road,,, and why did the person even have it out????? one more strike against hots because of 2 blackmarket peddlers..
    spooky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    None of my RTB's could kill me.
    ....okay, and LARGE constrictor CAN kill someone. To say that a 8 or even 18 foot sake couldn't is negligence. Yes they are docile, yes it rarely happens. But it CAN. Just like a hot COULD bite. All to often do people with RTB's Burmese, reticulated even Anaconda's say "my snake is docile it won't hurt me" Because it could happen.... itself often that degree of "confidence" that results in a accident.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    ...and with the exception of a case of anaphylaxis to my knowledge there is no venomous animal capable of killing a human in a matter of minutes

Just a quick google search will show that there are a couple snakes that can kill in minutes if they hit the right spot, as well as the black mamba that can apparently potentially kill in 20 minutes or less. I didn't bother looking up how fast a blue ringed octopus or box jelly can kill, nor other species that are not snakes... but there are some wicked animals out there.

The point of what people are saying is not that large constrictors cannot be just as deadly if care is not taken to be safe, even if there are people out there who are complacent and ignorant enough to think so. The point is that hots are dangerous, and certain precautions should be taken. I can argue all day about how macaws can break fingers or cause irreversable damage... but that's not the focus of this thread. The focus is on hots/venomoids.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anatopism View Post
    Just a quick google search will show that there are a couple snakes that can kill in minutes if they hit the right spot, as well as the black mamba that can apparently potentially kill in 20 minutes or less. I didn't bother looking up how fast a blue ringed octopus or box jelly can kill, nor other species that are not snakes... but there are some wicked animals out there.

The point of what people are saying is not that large constrictors cannot be just as deadly if care is not taken to be safe, even if there are people out there who are complacent and ignorant enough to think so. The point is that hots are dangerous, and certain precautions should be taken. I can argue all day about how macaws can break fingers or cause irreversable damage... but that's not the focus of this thread. The focus is on hots/venomoids.
    True again, and i never stated how i feel about venomoid.. I myself think that it shouldn't be done. Not only is it wrong to do this to the animals, but it takes away the point of Hots. If someone wants to own a hot then they need to be aware of the irresponsibility of the venom that makes them hots.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks

First I would like to say that I in no way intended to put this thread off topic, I in fact think it’s one of the most interesting threads I’ve seen on BP.net in ages. I was simply responding to an all to common comment about how “Hots are the most dangerous reptiles one can keep”. Although without question dendroaspis polylepis venom is one of the fastest acting venom on the planet and I have heard anecdotal evidence of victims succumbing to their bites in under an hour I find it highly unlikely that they could kill an adult in 20 minutes. That’s not to say it didn’t happen, I suppose if someone was unlucky enough to receive a dose intravenously that would greatly increase the rate they would be affected by the venom. At least it did in a case study I read where a man was bitten by a crotalus horridus and the fang punctured an artery or vein (I can’t remember which). The victims symptoms advanced at many time the speed that you would expect from a timber bite. But I would guess the patient in the case you mention probably died from anaphylactic shock. Not knowing the details I couldn’t say for sure of course but being that mamba venom is highly nerotoxic I would think that respiratory failure would be easily attributed to the venom by mistake. In either case this would be an extreme example and in most cases in north America a victim of snake bite would have time to seek treatment.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    First I would like to say that I in no way intended to put this thread off topic, I in fact think it’s one of the most interesting threads I’ve seen on BP.net in ages. I was simply responding to an all to common comment about how “Hots are the most dangerous reptiles one can keep”. Although without question dendroaspis polylepis venom is one of the fastest acting venom on the planet and I have heard anecdotal evidence of victims succumbing to their bites in under an hour I find it highly unlikely that they could kill an adult in 20 minutes. That’s not to say it didn’t happen, I suppose if someone was unlucky enough to receive a dose intravenously that would greatly increase the rate they would be affected by the venom. At least it did in a case study I read where a man was bitten by a crotalus horridus and the fang punctured an artery or vein (I can’t remember which). The victims symptoms advanced at many time the speed that you would expect from a timber bite. But I would guess the patient in the case you mention probably died from anaphylactic shock. Not knowing the details I couldn’t say for sure of course but being that mamba venom is highly nerotoxic I would think that respiratory failure would be easily attributed to the venom by mistake. In either case this would be an extreme example and in most cases in north America a victim of snake bite would have time to seek treatment.

I figured as much, and I apologize if I came across as too curt.. it happens sometimes when the touch screen on my phone decides that me pushing on the bottom right should be interpreted as clicking and making squiggles up in the top left.

If I didn't know better I'd think my male hognose is the deadliest snake around... he sure does put up a great show of making himself look tough. As far as this thread goes, it is very interesting. It's made me want to learn more about hots. I've always wanted something like an eyelash viper, but I've had my eyes opened to more species that I'd never considered before. Either way, it wont happen until I have my own house with a room dedicated only to snakes. I don't currently trust my roommate not to walk up and go "Oh, this thing must be the hognose.. she said it was friendly!" and get killed.

Thanks

I figured as much, and I apologize if I came across as too curt.. it happens sometimes when the touch screen on my phone decides that me pushing on the bottom right should be interpreted as clicking and making squiggles up in the top left.

If I didn't know better I'd think my male hognose is the deadliest snake around... he sure does put up a great show of making himself look tough. As far as this thread goes, it is very interesting. It's made me want to learn more about hots. I've always wanted something like an eyelash viper, but I've had my eyes opened to more species that I'd never considered before. Either way, it wont happen until I have my own house with a room dedicated only to snakes. I don't currently trust my roommate not to walk up and go "Oh, this thing must be the hognose.. she said it was friendly!" and get killed.
    a dedicated room is a must for Hot's and every cage containing any hot must be clearly labeled as to what it contains and how many. and most improtantly it MUST be locked. it's also a good idea to have a advised treatment protocol nest to the cage that can be taken with you to the E.R just in case.
    Last edited by jason_ladouceur; 11-28-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345