Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,229

0 members and 3,229 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How do u tame a extremely defensive python

...this is again another post but It is because iam realizing the fact that my snake is quite weird and I can't find any answers online on in books that are specific to my problems.

My ball python comes out at night and is really aggressive or defensive. So should I handle him at night or in the day where he is hiding.

Can you actually tame ball pythons. And make the transition from defensive to passive?

Should I let him bite me or not. My snake tries to bite me a lot. Should I pull back or let him bite me. Will he get used to biting me?

I haven't seen my snake drink water before. But he seems hydrated , and his skin isn't wrinkly , should I be worried?

Everytime take my snake out in the day, he is curled up as a ball and his head poking out, ready to strike at anything in front of it. What should I do?

Yesturday, I took him out and out him in my palm, he kept striking at my legs even though it was below him. He also didn't bite with his teeth, he stroked at me without opening his mouth.
    Is this normal

Thanks

Re: How do u tame a extremely defensive python

Quote Originally Posted by Joshwah View Post
    ...this is again another post but It is because iam realizing the fact that my snake is quite weird and I can't find any answers online on in books that are specific to my problems.

My ball python comes out at night and is really aggressive or defensive. So should I handle him at night or in the day where he is hiding.

Can you actually tame ball pythons. And make the transition from defensive to passive?

Should I let him bite me or not. My snake tries to bite me a lot. Should I pull back or let him bite me. Will he get used to biting me?

I haven't seen my snake drink water before. But he seems hydrated , and his skin isn't wrinkly , should I be worried?

Everytime take my snake out in the day, he is curled up as a ball and his head poking out, ready to strike at anything in front of it. What should I do?

Yesturday, I took him out and out him in my palm, he kept striking at my legs even though it was below him. He also didn't bite with his teeth, he stroked at me without opening his mouth.
    Is this normal
    How long have you had the bp? You should let a new snake settle in and take about 3 meals before you start to handle. I only really notice my snakes drink after they eat. They get a lot of their water from their prey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

Thanks

Short answers is no to “is this normal...” with that being said, can we talk more about the snakes age, feeding schedule, prey size, enclosure set up? I think that would help out quite a bit if we had that information.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (06-07-2019),tttaylorrr (06-07-2019)

Thanks

I have had him for 2 weeks and 1 day. I have fed him 3 medium sized mice.

Thanks

He is 3 years old

I feed him 1 medium sized mice a week.

Idk what size the enclosure is. But if I straighten him he will not fit in any dimensions

His cage is mainly glass and plastic with holes.

He has 2 hides

Wood shavings from reptibark

He also has one wood log in it

And a small soy sauce plate used for water

Thanks

A 40 gallon breeder 36” x 18” is the minimum tank size for an adult male. If your enclosure is smaller you need to upgrade. Thankfully there are affordable options and if you need recommendations just ask As for dealing with the defensive behavior, let him settle in first. If you just got him leave him alone for 3 weeks and/or 3+ meals. Then buy leather gloves (to help with confidence, bp bite isn’t bad) and work with him. In a few weeks he’ll get used to you and stop striking.

Thanks

Ok. I think we have identified one problem. A medium mouse once a week for a 3 year old BP is underfed. He should be on small rats. I would try and up his prey size, make sure you aren’t handling at him too much and then see what happens. If he’s 3 and you changed his set up around dramatically and decreased his prey size that could account for some of the aggression. Maybe also try to see how he was housed before and start over.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-07-2019),Sonny1318 (06-07-2019),tttaylorrr (06-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moose84 View Post
    Ok. I think we have identified one problem. A medium mouse once a week for a 3 year old BP is underfed. He should be on small rats. I would try and up his prey size, make sure you aren’t handling at him too much and then see what happens. If he’s 3 and you changed his set up around dramatically and decreased his prey size that could account for some of the aggression. Maybe also try to see how he was housed before and start over.

This is great advice here. He is hungry so his instinct is to hunt and strike warm things. Mice are to small for adults.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Moose84 (06-07-2019),tttaylorrr (06-07-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    This is great advice here. He is hungry so his instinct is to hunt and strike warm things. Mice are to small for adults.
    I agree, great advice. I didn’t catch that. I feed my male a medium rat every two to three weeks depending on behavior. Typically I can tell when he’s ready to feed again and offer then to avoid wasting food. You can either feed larger food items less often or smaller items more often, whichever works best for your animal. My bp won’t eat smaller rats which is weird lol Guess he likes to gorge himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I agree, great advice. I didn’t catch that. I feed my male a medium rat every two to three weeks depending on behavior. Typically I can tell when he’s ready to feed again and offer then to avoid wasting food. You can either feed larger food items less often or smaller items more often, whichever works best for your animal. My bp won’t eat smaller rats which is weird lol Guess he likes to gorge himself.

Most males will never need mediums, good to see you stretch it out. And F.Y.I, A 20 long is fine for most to all adult male ball pythons. Peace
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Moose84 (06-07-2019),tttaylorrr (06-07-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast