Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,399

1 members and 3,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

New snake suggestions

Im gonna buy 2 ap t10 enclosures for my ball pythons in the next couple of months, and because im gonna spend a lot on a very good enclosure, i decided to upgrade my thermostats (eventhough i just bought two jumpstarts lol) and i was gonna buy the herpstat 2, but because i know that in the future (once i live by myself) im gonna want more snakes, im decided to go for the herpstat 4 and eventually buy 2 other ap t10 enclosures, so, finally, the question is, what snakes (other than bp) can live in one of these enclosures once theyre fully grown?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Lots. Corns, Kings. smaller locality boas. Lots of options here.

Thanks

Re: New snake suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Lots. Corns, Kings. smaller locality boas. Lots of options here.
    What kind of boas could live happily in them? I like the more heavy bodied snakes (nothing against colubrids lol)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

There's so many critters you could put in a T10. Carpets, Boas, SD retics or Bull Snakes would be my first choices. Blood Pythons are another heavy bodied snake that would fit in there. Not all colubrids are as small as kings and corns. My female bull snake is over 7ft and as thick as my wrist.

Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 03-29-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-29-2017),jmcrook (03-30-2017),Mike17 (03-29-2017),Prognathodon (03-29-2017),Sauzo (03-30-2017),Stewart_Reptiles (03-30-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    There's so many critters you could put in a T10. Carpets, Boas, SD retics or Bull Snakes would be my first choices. Blood Pythons are another heavy bodied snake that would fit in there. Not all colubrids are as small as kings and corns. My female bull snake is over 7ft and as thick as my wrist.

Wow thats a really beautiful snake!!! And big too! Do they grow even more? Now that you mention SD retics (i didnt even know there were SD retics) that one for sure will come into my life, retics are my favorite snake by far. Im only worried about how dwarf is super dwarf lol like, what size of rat would i need to buy? 😂😂 One snake down, i just need to decide about the other one (my limit will be 4 snakes, no more, and i alredy have two bp)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

My bull will be 4 in September so she'll grow a little bit more but not too much. Those SD retics are the cats meow if you ask me. I was on the verge of getting one before I totally switched directions and got an Olive Python. If I do add another critter it'll most likely be a SD retic. Those paint jobs are amazing! You shouldn't need to feed them anything larger than a large or jumbo rat I'd think.
    Last edited by EL-Ziggy; 03-29-2017 at 05:50 PM.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (03-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

My bull will be 4 in September so she'll grow a little bit more but not too much. Those SD retics are the cats meow if you ask me. I was on the verge of getting one before I totally switched directions and got an Olive Python. If I do add another critter it'll most likely be a SD retic. Those paint jobs are amazing! You shouldn't need to feed them anything larger than a large or jumbo rat I'd think.
    If you stay with a high percentage SD male retic you could probably keep it in a 4x2 cage. Never really know, sometimes they just grow. My SD gal Phyllis is 13.5 months old and is about 7' already. Some of her siblings from the same clutch are less than 5'. Mine just really thrived and still does. She just moved up to large rats and now a 10 day feeding interval.
    Now my male 50% SD ultra ivory Gerald is 12.5 months and between 3.5-4'. Tiny. He was fed more conservatively than Phyllis though. I digress...
    I vote you get an SD retic Ziggy! They're a blast. I would like an olive though myself...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Sensismell (03-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gc99 View Post
    Wow thats a really beautiful snake!!! And big too! Do they grow even more? Now that you mention SD retics (i didnt even know there were SD retics) that one for sure will come into my life, retics are my favorite snake by far. Im only worried about how dwarf is super dwarf lol like, what size of rat would i need to buy? 😂😂 One snake down, i just need to decide about the other one (my limit will be 4 snakes, no more, and i alredy have two bp)

Depends how heavy you feed them, if its a male or female, the percents and I was told genes too like tiger is from mainland so tigers tend to get larger even SDs. Also depends how much they push and overall are food driven.

Caesar was driven for food as a 5 month old baby and pushed bad enough to put a couple scrapes on his chin. He has since mellowed on food and I try and give him a medium rat every 10 days but at his peak, he was eating large rats and did pound down a 250g large rat with ease.

Caesar is a male 37.5% SD, 31.5% dwarf and 31% mainland white tiger het snow. He just turned 10 month old and is just over 5'. He seems to be gaining bulk now so not sure how long until he gains more length if he does. Kris at Vital Exotics told me he should top out around 5-7' but I'm planning for 10' just incase.

Key is buy from a reputable breeder who is not fudging on the percents lol. Kris isn't doing retics this year as he is focusing on his bison farm so Vital Exotics is out for now. I would go with Daniel Solis or Shannon Roepke for SD stuff. Bob Clark is good too but I'm not sure if he keeps percents on his SD stuff. Plus you will pay for his name on the animal unless you catch a sweet auction like JM did.

Personally my 2 favorites are boas and retics. I was always a boa guy and I always wanted a retic but was kind of intimdated by full size mainlands plus when I was a kid, retics had a reputation as being fairly ornery and mean. But Caesar is awesome except when he pissed on my bare foot or when he goes spazz mode on me and climbs all over me or wraps around my leg as he heads for the floor lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-30-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    That Bull is awesome.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-30-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow makes me miss having bullsnakes, that's a nice one.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (03-30-2017)