Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,195

0 members and 3,195 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP keeper, just trying to get it right!!

Hello everyone, I’m so thankful I found this forum! I picked up a young BP from a commercial pet store the other day and have zero knowledge about it. Age, sex, eating habits etc!! It’s frustrating but knowing it’s going to get the best care I can give it now, helps! I’ve been combing the internet for days trying to get everything correct and and you all have made that job alot easier!! Thank you!!

I currently have 1 analog thermometer in the terrarium, but have 2 digital ones with probes and a digital hydrometer on the way! She (we are calling it a girl to personalize her) is in a 20 gallon tank and I have an UTH on one side and a basking lamp, with a ceramic socket, posted on top, centered. I also have a timer coming for that but am now questioning if that’s necessary. From what I’m reading here, light isn’t necessary? Please correct me if that’s incorrect!! She is in my bedroom where I have room darkening curtains but light gets in through the blinds that cover my sliding glass door. So my concern is that she won’t get enough light if I take away the basking lamp. The lid is mesh so I have it covered 75% with foil.

Inside I’ve tried to give her everything I can think of! I have a hide in the warm side and one in the cool side, however she prefers to hang out in the fake vines on the warm side. I added moss around the 1/2 log hide last night to close it up a bit, and move the water off the UTH and put the hide on it instead. I noticed a temp drop after that, so I’m afraid that was unwise!!

A couple of concerns I have: last night she was rubbing her face on i the glass pretty forecefully, so RI is a concern. And she fell a couple of times trying to climb up to the top. She has a huge climbing stick and she literally fell off of it! Is that ok? I just want to give her the best life I can, and as I know nothing about her (in top of being a new BP owner) I’m reaching out to you all for ANY guidance!!

ps: I was going to include pictures of her terrarium but can not figure out how ����:cens0r:♀️
    Last edited by CGray0714; 05-26-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    The light from the light is not needed but the heat from the bulb may be. Depends on the temps of the room. I keep a cold house so before I had a snake room I had heaters all over to keep things right. Personally I do have lights in most all my cages to give them a good day/night cycle. Not needed as the room has windows but I prefer the look and how it presents both day and night.

Heat from the bulb will reduce the humidity so you will have to find the balance. I used to just put damp moss in the hides and never had an issue.

As for the under tank heater you need a thermostat. I like Herpstat but there are several options you can search and read about here.

As to the snake rubbing and climbing I bet she is just exploring her new home. She should settle in fine but that doesn't mean she will not at times come out and explore. Most of mine do, expect my Bloods. As for falling I am sure the distance it fell is nothing to be concerned about but if she makes a habit of it you may want to change things up to try and prevent it.

The easiest way to post a pic is put it in the gallery. Then look at the bottom right corner and copy paste the link into you thread.
    Last edited by KMG; 05-26-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Re: New BP keeper, just trying to get it right!!

Quote Originally Posted by CGray0714 View Post
    Hello everyone, I’m so thankful I found this forum! I picked up a young BP from a commercial pet store the other day and have zero knowledge about it. Age, sex, eating habits etc!! It’s frustrating but knowing it’s going to get the best care I can give it now, helps! I’ve been combing the internet for days trying to get everything correct and and you all have made that job alot easier!! Thank you!!

I currently have 1 analog thermometer in the terrarium, but have 2 digital ones with probes and a digital hydrometer on the way! She (we are calling it a girl to personalize her) is in a 20 gallon tank and I have an UTH on one side and a basking lamp, with a ceramic socket, posted on top, centered. I also have a timer coming for that but am now questioning if that’s necessary. From what I’m reading here, light isn’t necessary? Please correct me if that’s incorrect!! She is in my bedroom where I have room darkening curtains but light gets in through the blinds that cover my sliding glass door. So my concern is that she won’t get enough light if I take away the basking lamp. The lid is mesh so I have it covered 75% with foil.

Inside I’ve tried to give her everything I can think of! I have a hide in the warm side and one in the cool side, however she prefers to hang out in the fake vines on the warm side. I added moss around the 1/2 log hide last night to close it up a bit, and move the water off the UTH and put the hide on it instead. I noticed a temp drop after that, so I’m afraid that was unwise!!

A couple of concerns I have: last night she was rubbing her face on i the glass pretty forecefully, so RI is a concern. And she fell a couple of times trying to climb up to the top. She has a huge climbing stick and she literally fell off of it! Is that ok? I just want to give her the best life I can, and as I know nothing about her (in top of being a new BP owner) I’m reaching out to you all for ANY guidance!!

ps: I was going to include pictures of her terrarium but can not figure out how ����:cens0r:♀️
    PLEASE DO RESEARCH BEFORE GETTING A REPTILE NEXT TIME.

Anyway, do you have a thermostat to regulate temperatures? What are the hot and cool side temps? Humidity? Ditch the analog thermometer since it will do you no good in providing accurate readings.
    vivi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vivi For This Useful Post:

Kira (05-26-2020)

Thanks

As I’m sure happens all too often, I realize now that I SHOULD have researched better. Now that I see my mistake, I want to do all I can to correct it. I am getting a thermostat for the UTH today, and am expecting 2 probed thermometers as well as a hygrometer today. Any suggestions as to type/brand are wholeheartedly welcome.

Thanks

As I’m sure happens all too often, I realize now that I SHOULD have researched better. Now that I see my mistake, I want to do all I can to correct it. I am getting a thermostat for the UTH today, and am expecting 2 probed thermometers as well as a hygrometer today. Any suggestions as to type/brand are wholeheartedly welcome.
    I prefer a IR temp gun. Just point and shoot where ever you want to know the temp. Great for checking hotspots....especially on perches for my arboreals.

I do have thermometers in some of my cages, digital and analog. I also have one on each side of my room to track the room temps since I heat the entire room. One window side and one across.

I have actually found these to be really good. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econo...s%2C165&sr=8-2

As to the tstat most of the things you will find at the big box pet stores are junk. If it were me I would use the lamp alone right now and order a good tstat.

I use these and have several they have worked wonderfully for years now. https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...=index&cPath=1
    Last edited by KMG; 05-26-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    KMG

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I prefer a IR temp gun. Just point and shoot where ever you want to know the temp. Great for checking hotspots....especially on perches for my arboreals.

I do have thermometers in some of my cages, digital and analog. I also have one on each side of my room to track the room temps since I heat the entire room. One window side and one across.

I have actually found these to be really good. https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Econo...s%2C165&sr=8-2

As to the tstat most of the things you will find at the big box pet stores are junk. If it were me I would use the lamp alone right now and order a good tstat.

I use these and have several they have worked wonderfully for years now. https://www.spyderrobotics.com/index...=index&cPath=1

What is a quality iR temp gun?

Thanks

What is a quality iR temp gun?
    They are cheap on Amazon.

This is a basic one and what I started with. Worked just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...523012&sr=8-13

The one I use now is from the same company but will register a high temp and the current temp. So I can blindly point it in an area and see what the highest temp in that area is. They do not have is listed on Amazon anymore. This really helps me with checking my perches but for a regular Ball setup the one I linked above will work great.
    KMG

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Thanks

Thank you, again, SO much! As I said, I’m trying to correct a mistake I didn’t realize I was making!! I’ve wanted a BP for years, but waited until I had the time and $$ necessary to take great care of it!! I already love this snake and want the best for her!!

Thanks

Thank you, again, SO much! As I said, I’m trying to correct a mistake I didn’t realize I was making!! I’ve wanted a BP for years, but waited until I had the time and $$ necessary to take great care of it!! I already love this snake and want the best for her!!
    You will get it all squared away.

I have seen in person people buying a snake that had no clue what they were getting into. It doesn't help that many pet shop employee at the big box stores are not keepers and do not have a clue what is needed either.

At least you got a Ball and not something more difficult. A Ball is a great snake to learn with and then expand into other more challenging options. I will say that once you get the hang of it and learn what is needed to get the proper setup any snake can be kept fairly easy.

It becomes much easier when you have a heated snake room. LOL!
    KMG

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Thanks

I noticed you said your CHE is centered -- might want to keep that on the warm side so she has an adequate cool side. How old is she? The log hides often don't provide enough security since both ends are open, even with moss.

What are your temperatures at on each side + ambient and what is the humidity at? I wouldn't worry too much about her falling from her climbing stick -- this happens and they learn just like human kids. I would definitely opt for a thermostat so you can help control the environment as vivi said and an IR temp gun (I bought the same one as KMG when I started and I still use it).

Don't worry, you're going to do great. The important thing is that you care enough to make it right!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to christineho For This Useful Post:

CGray0714 (05-26-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast