Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,420

5 members and 3,415 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Blood In Pain, Having Seizure, Help Please

My blood that ive been having problems getting to eat has been moved from her tub to a tank so i can monitor her temps and humidity but i dont think its helping. She has lost over 50 grams (150 to 96) since when I got her and still wont eat. An RI is apparent and I tried a home remedy which didnt seem to work. She often opens her mouth and moves her head back strangely and I just witnessed her thrashing around like a seizure. I feel so bad because I think she is in pain, I am taking her to a vet first thing tomorrow does anyone have experience with this?

Also, I dont want to sound cryptic or unwilling to help/pay but it seems she is doing very poor and i am not sure a $200 vet visit is worth it if she is so sick she wont even make it through winter.

I am willing to do whatever it takes for my baby please help, thanks
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

Thanks
    The thrashing is a bad sign. Possible neuro damage or something, that's the only time (other than breeding) in which I ever hear about that as a symptom.

Can you give us more info on your husbandry? temps, humidity, when the ri started, how long you've had her, where you got her from?
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Re: Blood In Pain, Having Seizure, Help Please

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    The thrashing is a bad sign. Possible neuro damage or something, that's the only time (other than breeding) in which I ever hear about that as a symptom.

Can you give us more info on your husbandry? temps, humidity, when the ri started, how long you've had her, where you got her from?
    Tank stays at 82-84 (drops to around 77 at night) and i keep humidity about 60-80%. I noticed the RI symptoms 2 or 3 weeks ago. Ive had her about a month and I got her at an expo from Outback Reptiles
    WVU

Thanks
    Any particular reason you're keeping temps low? Everything that I've read on bloods says a steady 85-90* is ideal. (I also don't have bloods so I can't officially attest, but hopefully one of the blood buffs will stop by.)
    1.1 Ball Pythons

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Any particular reason you're keeping temps low? Everything that I've read on bloods says a steady 85-90* is ideal. (I also don't have bloods so I can't officially attest, but hopefully one of the blood buffs will stop by.)
    I used to keep her at about 88 and someone told me that was too high so its about 84ish now

- - - Updated - - -

edit: made an appointment at a vet for tomorrow morning
    WVU

Thanks
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...n-brongersmai)

They need a hotspot of 90 with a gradient that doesn't go below 75, much like BPs. They're a tropical snake. Hopefully bumping temps will knock out the RI and get her eating once that's healed, although don't decline antibiotics if the vet will give them tomorrow. Bring humidity down just a couple notches too while she's recovering, unless she goes into a shed cycle. Just make sure she constantly has a large enough water bowl in case she wants to soak.

When did you drop temps, before or after her RI started/eating stopped?
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

Thanks
    I am very saddened to say she just had another seizure and seems to have passed away I feel terrible I should have seeked vet help sooner
    WVU

Thanks

I'm sorry. I would definitely seek a necropsy, the seizures are not common. Again, my condolences.

Sent from my warm hide using Tapatalk
    1.1 Ball Pythons

Fish:

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry for your loss. If you have other snakes it is of the utmost importance to refrigerate (not freeze) her body and have a necropsy done. Even if you don't have any other snakes, this will give you great insight into her demise. Which you should certainly pass on to Outback Reptiles. (Depending how long you've had her of course)

Thanks
    sorry to hear about your blood passing away. I refuse to purchase from outback reptiles, I seen Ian ( how ever he spells his name) got to the other vendors and lowball bulk buying snakes to flip at the next show he does. I doubt half the snakes are ever QT or checked once purchased. I heard of people selling /trading him sick snakes in the pass. I could of had a blood at the white plains show and walked away when I seen it was all Ian stuff. TO me if you don't have a history on the animals your selling then it too much of a risk. I like sticking to the self producing breeder ( hobbyist ) and larger breeder that I not heard horror stories about from people that buy from them.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast