Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,268

2 members and 3,266 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,193 Posts

Re: Ball Python Uses Small Hide. Is She Stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Gobuchul View Post
    I'll be ready to upgrade the enclosure when the time comes. In the meantime I want to replace the paper in this enclosure with better looking fake foliage, but I consider it low priority and haven't gotten around to it. I have a nearly unlimited supply of used notebook paper, so it's easier to just keep replacing that for now.

I'm regulating the CHE using a thermostat with a probe suction-cupped to the warm side short wall, and the heat mat using a thermostat with a probe between the mat and the bottom of the plastic. This setup seems to keep the temps within 1-2 degrees fahrenheit of target values when the room varies by 5 degrees either way. The ambient temps rise when the room temperature increases, so I hoped putting the CHE probe very close to the wall (which should have its temperature affected more by the room than the middle of the enclosure) would mitigate this, but I think putting the probe in a hide or something might also be effective.

My only issue with the heating is that the surface temp of the plastic beneath the hides is 88, but ticking the thermostat up a degree brings it to like 93. I figure 88 is fine even with some variance and preferable to potentially getting too warm by sitting around 93, but it annoys me that I can't bring it to 89 or 90. I have a spare thermostat, so I might try making some sort of "and" gate to improve it.
    I understand. Regulating temps in a sterlite tub is a constant struggle. That's one thing you can look forward to when you upgrade. Regulating temps in a pvc or plywood enclosure is much easier.

I wouldn't trust those suction cups to hold the probe in place, but I see you also have the probe wire duct taped in place and the probe wire's sandwiched between the side and the lid. So, that should be secure enough.

I wouldn't prioritize fake foliage either. Your snake doesn't care. The only difference is appearance and your enclosure isn't set up for visual appeal anyway.
    Last edited by Homebody; 04-10-2024 at 02:13 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-10-2024),Malum Argenteum (04-10-2024)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Uses Small Hide. Is She Stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I'm a proponent of offering a range of hides (sizes; materials; locations; moisture levels) and letting the snake choose which they prefer. The more options I give, the closer the snake will get to satisfying their preference. Also, I'll learn something about the snake based on what it prefers (which is how scientific research leads to knowledge about animal preferences, too). It may be interesting to swap the positions of those two hides to see if the snake changes its preferred spot; it may be that they're taking that hide for its position or temperature.

It isn't unusual for a snake to prefer a very tight hide, and I wouldn't take away anything unless it's causing or likely to cause harm.
    This ^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123