Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,797

0 members and 1,797 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,612
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silver Eye Cap

Thanks

Re: Silver Eye Cap

Quote Originally Posted by JimiSnakes View Post
    What I'd do is NOTHING. Let him go into shed again on his normal schedule and keep an extra good eye on the humidity and let the next shed take care of it.
    Agreed! A little piece of stuck shed, or eye cap in this case is no big deal. Happens to everyone at some point or another, so leaving it be for the next few months or whatever is perfectly fine. It's when you have the same problems over and over again when you start to run into trouble.
    Brandon

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

In my own experience using tape to remove an eye cap is simple and straightforward.
    If you use the tape to only touch part of the cap then there is no risk of hurting the animal.
    If it is very dry you may want to soak the animal for a period before hand.
    Dry the eye off as well as you can and gently touch the tape to the cap and it should release.
    -Steven

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimiSnakes View Post
    It's old dead skin. Just like with a stuck scrap of shed leftover that turns all grey and crinkly looking, so won't the eye cap. They are just clear skin is all. I would almost bet the stress of having it on will initiate another repeated shed in a week or so. Unless you're really talented at removing them and have lots of experience doing it, I don't suggest anyone (vets included) touching them. Like I said already- there is way more danger in messing with them then waiting for the next shed to take care of it the easy way. Just make sure you bump the humidity up extra so as to make it softer and come off easier.
    Agree totally~ Jimi's the boa man around here
    Leave it and let it take care of itself. I've never been one to mess around with an eyeball.

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12