Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,544

0 members and 1,544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,607
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Colombian vs. Guyana

I have a BCC and we had some problems with her when she was a baby - she regurged and had (or not, we're still not sure - bad vet) RI...but temp/humidity, if you have BP down, BCI or BCC shouldn't be a problem. =)

My girl now is fit as a fiddle...and getting big!
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

Thanks

Excellent advice given Brandon!

My experience is only with BCI's so I'll speak to that. Personally I love the 2 we own - an almost 9 foot female and a much smaller and younger male. I believe as Brandon does that how you work with them and socialize them determines to a great degree the attitude of your BCI. Handle them with confidence, with gentleness, develop habits they can learn and depend on - you get a lovely boa buddy.

I would say a few things though about getting a boa. Firstly, buy from a good breeder, not a pet store. Starting out with a healthy young boa, that has an established feeding history and has been properly sexed and cared for gives you as a new boa owner a better chance for success. Also remember that most BCI females far outgrow the males so think to the future and just how big a snake you want to deal with. Our 9 foot female, while a dream to handle, is a snake you cannot act stupid with and requires large housing. For some a male BCI is a much better choice.

As has been said, BCI's tend to be very easy to care for snakes and not as exact in their husbandry requirements. They tend to be aggressive feeders with a hard hitting and long strike range. Ours rarely refuse a meal and show no real prey preference.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

If this is for a pet, I would defentlly get a BCI. I had several as a teenager/young adult, and they were sweet, even tempered animals.
    I currently have a male and a female BCC. (Guyanas) Not so sweet... I've had Margo for many years now, and I still can't read her. There is the import factor too. If I'm correct... until recently there were not as many people successfully breeding BCC's... so there were way more baby BCI's that were produced from a breeder than there were BCC's. Everything I've heard labels the BCC's as "grumpy" compared to the Colombians... I'm SURE there are exceptions... especially a cb baby...but again, for a pet I would defentlly go for a pretty, sweet Colombian from a reputable breeder! *JIMMI*
    Grey Scale is a good thing...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12