Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 992

3 members and 989 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

D3rv (47)

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,613
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Does he do it on purpose?

When you leave for the day, crate him. Don't leave him for a full 8 hours by himself. He may just pee right there in the den. He needs to have a breaks in the middle.

Crate him at night, all night.

When you get up in the morning, take him immediately outside. Tell him to go pee over and over.

Once inside, feed him, water him, afterwards, take him back outside to poo.

When gone for the day, keep him in a crate. Give him a potty break at lunch, or more often is better. Crate him again afterwards.

When you come home, take him outside again, tell him to pee.

Keep a lead on him, and keep him with you at all times. Once he starts doing the pee stuff (sniffing around) take him outside until he pees.

Take him for a long walk, some dogs have to walk before they like to pee.

It takes constant affirmative action to catch him before he pees, and taking him out often enough to encourage him to go pee.

I have never had an animal that wasn't house broken quickly. Usually just taking him outside a lot and giving him a bit of praise is enough.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. We will try this. Tomorrow we have all day off so we can take him for a long walk. He likes going up to the Starbucks and back.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Tell him to go pee over and over.
    This is the only sentence in the entire thread that I can find to disagree with. (Sorry Connie! )

When trying to teach a command...if you simply say the word over and over again before the dog knows what it is supposed to mean, the word becomes meaningless to them. Wait until the dog does what you want it to do...THEN assign a command-word to the action. Such as, as soon as he squats to pee, tell him, "Go Potty!" in a happy voice. Then praise him like crazy for going "potty" (or whatever word you prefer to use).

Stay consistent with that, and they will actually learn to pee on command, making future potty breaks that much easier to get through...especially when the weather is icky and NObody wants to be outside!
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    This is the only sentence in the entire thread that I can find to disagree with. (Sorry Connie! )

When trying to teach a command...if you simply say the word over and over again before the dog knows what it is supposed to mean, the word becomes meaningless to them. Wait until the dog does what you want it to do...THEN assign a command-word to the action. Such as, as soon as he squats to pee, tell him, "Go Potty!" in a happy voice. Then praise him like crazy for going "potty" (or whatever word you prefer to use).

Stay consistent with that, and they will actually learn to pee on command, making future potty breaks that much easier to get through...especially when the weather is icky and NObody wants to be outside!
    I dunno... I suppose my dogs all understood what I meant because there was another dog around doing the peeing as well.

Edit:
    I see what you mean... you would rather they say it when the dog begins to squat. I say it while they are sniffing around in the grass, trying to get them to associate the whole "go pee!" with them sniffing around looking for a good place to whiz.

Thanks

I use the pee word when they actually begin to pee and keep repeating it until they are finished

~~McKinsey~~
    "Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    ~The Little Prince; Antoine de Saint Exupery

Thanks

My parents own four dachshunds, my brother owns two.
    They are by far one of the hardest dogs to house train.

I just doggy sat my brother's two dogs this weekend.

One bad thing about dachshunds is that they pee when they get excited. In fact this weekend one of the dogs jumped on our bed and wet my pillow at 5am.

The best method is crate training. Atleast that's how we got our boxer to go outside. You have to be persistent. My dog did NOT like the crate. In fact he still doesn't, but he got used to it and now he alerts us when he needs to go outside. No more crate for him. Now if only I could keep a 70lb dog from jumping on people.
    1.0.0 Ball Python Fingers
    0.1.0 BCI Motoko

Thanks

I'd have to second the crate training thing! It works wonders. I house broke a puppy using the crate. Here's my two points to add to the other great suggestions:

-When leaving him overnight, don't just open the crate and let him come out and wander, attatch the leash and pick him up and plop him outside so he doesn't get the chance to pee on the floor. repeat whenever you have to crate him for excursions out of the house.

-Once he has done this a few times, you can work up to letting him out without picking him up in the mornings and leading him out on a leash.

- Make him go in the same spot outside. This really helped the dog I was potty training to "get idea". He learned that if he had to pee (in the morning or when I knew he's not done it in a bit), he should go there and then he would be allowed to explore. I also gave him a treat when he peed on that spot.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

I've heard they are hard to train and we've already experienced the excitement piddle. We are going to take him out tonight after he eats and then crate him in the room for the night. We should only be sleeping about 5 or 6 hours since I have to be up early, so he won't be crated for long. He loves his crate and has never made a peep when I crate him so that I can clean up his mess in the kitchen.

Thanks for advice. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes as far as him going wee outside. *crossing fingers*
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Small dogs are usually harder to house train than large dogs. My bulldog "got it" right away, my pug took nearly a year to be perfect, with no accidents. Small dogs like Doxies have small bladders, and just like children, when they have to go, they have to go now! Crate training is a great option, but remember your puppy cannot hold it for more that a few hours, the calculator is generally at 8 weeks take them out every hour, every week beyond, you can tack on an hour, so 9 weeks, every 2 hours, etc. It is not an exact science, and if you see that he potties himself after 90 mins, take him out every 90 mins. If you crate him for longer than he can hold it, he will soil his crate and become desensitized to it. If you will be gone for extended periods of time, shut him in a larger area, with training pads. Maybe a portion of the kitchen, large enough for his bed and a pad, so he will naturally want to potty on the pad. As he starts to get it, increase the area. When you are home, and taking him out, do not come inside until he does his business, even if you stand out there for 45 mins, the only way to get him to learn is to catch him going outside and praising him (i mean praise him like he just cured cancer!). Also when he goes inside, you have to be vigilant, and catch him as he starts nosing around and squatting, immediately punish him (sternly say "no, bad boy," etc. I always said "No poopies!") carry him outside immediately to let him finish his business outside, if even 1 drop hits the ground outside, celebrate. The only thing I can tell you is be patient, it is worth it in the end, they always get it, if they don't it is not the dog's fault, it is the owner just not being patient. I promise it gets better.

Thanks

Hey you've got a little black smudge on the hard wood floor there. Just kidding. Cute puppies! Well we ended up taking him over to my mother's house today. He peed once outside. Praised him like he was an angel.

I must say though, of all the puppies I've ever had, this one is by far the hardest to house train, but the easiest to train with anything else. We never had to train him to sleep in his crate. He does it automatically. We never had to train him to walk on a leash. He just does it. He learned to sit really fast too. So hopefully he won't take too long learning where nature's potty is.
    Under Construction.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12