Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 818

3 members and 815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles

View Poll Results: how much do you handle your ball python?

Voters
638. You may not vote on this poll
  • daily

242 37.93%
  • couple times a week

295 46.24%
  • once a week

79 12.38%
  • more than a weeks time

22 3.45%

Hybrid View

Thanks

Re: how many times do you handle your snake?

Wow, it's interesting to see all the different opinions on a topic like this. I've had my BP for three weeks now. I've gotten to feed twice in the last week, which I consider appropriate because he's young, the pet store was only getting him to feed on pinks every other week, and I'm feeding pinks (on their recommendation). He first fed for me Tuesday of last week, then again today, both times with a good strong strike. Yes, it took a while to get his interest, but then he was ON it!

I've definitely seen a difference in my snake's behavior about handling since I first acquired him. He wasn't overly shy when I first got him - I handled him at the pet store and was positively impressed by how he relaxed as I held and stroked him. When he first came home, I gave him a lot of space and time. After a few days, I started handling him - as much as anything because I needed to clean his enclosure! - and I had the same experience as at the store: first a ball, then a relaxed snake.

Now, I will take him out of the enclosure when he's out of his hide and when I have time (he's out a lot in the morning, when I'm getting ready for work!). I spend ten to fifteen minutes with him, and he explores up my arms, around the space where we're sitting (at the desk in my office) and generally seems comfortable with all of it.

Do I know how he feels about it? Of course not. I'm not a snake, and I can't do a Vulcan mind meld with him, either. But he is not demonstrating behaviors that suggest he is avoiding the situation or responding to a threat associated with handling. Moreover, I handled him this morning for a while, and fed him this evening. It doesn't appear to be traumatizing him too badly.

A newbie's opinion, for what it's worth....

Thanks

Re: how many times do you handle your snake?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHippie View Post
    Wow, it's interesting to see all the different opinions on a topic like this. I've had my BP for three weeks now. I've gotten to feed twice in the last week, which I consider appropriate because he's young, the pet store was only getting him to feed on pinks every other week, and I'm feeding pinks (on their recommendation). He first fed for me Tuesday of last week, then again today, both times with a good strong strike. Yes, it took a while to get his interest, but then he was ON it!

I've definitely seen a difference in my snake's behavior about handling since I first acquired him. He wasn't overly shy when I first got him - I handled him at the pet store and was positively impressed by how he relaxed as I held and stroked him. When he first came home, I gave him a lot of space and time. After a few days, I started handling him - as much as anything because I needed to clean his enclosure! - and I had the same experience as at the store: first a ball, then a relaxed snake.

Now, I will take him out of the enclosure when he's out of his hide and when I have time (he's out a lot in the morning, when I'm getting ready for work!). I spend ten to fifteen minutes with him, and he explores up my arms, around the space where we're sitting (at the desk in my office) and generally seems comfortable with all of it.

Do I know how he feels about it? Of course not. I'm not a snake, and I can't do a Vulcan mind meld with him, either. But he is not demonstrating behaviors that suggest he is avoiding the situation or responding to a threat associated with handling. Moreover, I handled him this morning for a while, and fed him this evening. It doesn't appear to be traumatizing him too badly.

A newbie's opinion, for what it's worth....
    You may be feeding your snake too small of prey. I don't know the age or size of your snake, but I recently obtained a baby that had only 2 meals before I got her and I started her off with young mice that are past the hopper stage every 5 days. As you only have made a few posts I will mention that there are care sheets that you can click on that are located in the upper left corner of the main page of this site. Have fun with your snake!
    Do not resuscitate