Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,449

2 members and 1,447 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,604
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How much does it cost to own a beardie?

ST, I bought a 36" fixture and it fits perfectly in a diagonal across the tub. Look at your local fish stores for used fixtures, they may have them.

The only decorations I have in my Bearded's tub is a large river rock for his nails, a Texas holey rock(it's long, flat and white) for basking, and sometimes I will put a piece of wood in there, just for change of pace. Gets him climbing around and wears down those nails.

Mealworms and waxworms are useless feeders. If you want the Beardie to actually grow(and not have parasites from filthy crickets) and not have to spend a ton of money each month on crickets, go with a roach colony. They are SO much cleaner, it's ridiculous. They eat everything the Beardie eats, so even if the Beardie won't eat veggies, you can feed them to the roaches, and in turn, your Beardie gets the nutrients from the veggies. I have Orange-Headed roaches, they are awesome. Don't fly or climb and are chubby little guys.

I'll get a picture of the Bearded's tub so you can see where the lights are mounted. The basking bulb is just a regular 70 watt halogen flood you can get at Walmart or a hardware store. Don't spend your money on those stupid reptile bulbs, they just burn out and cost you $10. I paid maybe $5 per flood bulb and they last forever. I use a ceramic 10" shop lamp that I bought at WalMart and it clamps onto the side of the tub easily. Just direct it down to a flat rock for basking, attach a digital thermometer probe, and you're set.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Agreed. Never use the worms for Beardies unless as an occasional treat. Possibly with the exception of Phoenix worms. Roaches have become the 'new craze' in lizard feeding.

And unlike snakes, lizards NEED their heat from Above. UTHs are nearly useless with them, so spend the money on a good UVA/UVB bulb and lamp instead. Another good use for basking rocks in the enclosure is to soak up that warmth through the day and release it at night for them...just like in the wild.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

We recently bought a Bearded Dragon, here is our tank. Keep in mind alot of our set up is done to be "aesthetically" pleasing, a stick you find (and bake) in your back yard would work just as well as the $20 fake one we bought:

Here is a rundown on all the prices (minus the stand cause thats not really needed)

Bearded Dragon: $65 (PetPlus)
    55 gallon tank: $75 (PetPlus)
    Big Stick: $20 (PetSmart)
    Little Stick $15 (PetPlus)
    Water Bowl: $10 (PetSmart)
    48" Hood With UVB/UVA Bulb: $80 (PetSmart)
    Thermo/Hygrometers: $20 (WalMart)
    Lamp With Ceramic Bulb: $40 (PetSmart)
    Hammock And Ladder: $15 (PetSmart)
    Fake Grass: $2.50 (Home Depot)
    Backdrop: $5

TOTAL: $347.50

As for food plan on $5-$10 per week.
    Last edited by Funky#2; 08-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    1.0.0 Normal Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 Albino Pacman Frog
    0.0.1 Normal Pacman Frog
    1.0.0 Veiled Chameleon
    0.0.3 Hermit Crabs
    1.0.0 Tabby Cat
    0.1.0 Basset Hound Puppy

Thanks

All great info. Thanks!

How much of a hassle is it to buy 1000 crickets and store them for feeding? How bad do they stink and are they really loud?

Thanks

Well, at lots of pet stores you can't even buy a thousand crickets, so that option is pretty much out. (Or maybe thats just our Petsmart. They're always running out. ) And personally, I wouldn't buy that many anyway. Though I don't own a BD, (I own a CWD who loves his crickets. =3) the crickets smell, are loud, tend to die, just overall are terrible. not to mention I always get a few escape even though I covered the cricket cage in tape. >_> If you plan on buying in bulk, go with about 100. Think about 1000 crickets chirping simaltaniously.

But anyway, thats just my opinion. Keeping so many crickets (the most I keep at one time is 20-30) seems like hell to me. Maybe if you have them set up in a room no where near where you sleep and you have a good set-up for them it won't be so bad.
    -Abbi [:

1.0.0 Chinese Water Dragon - Axel.
    0.1.0 Ball Python - Seether.
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Doby.
    1.2.0 (plus strays I feed!) Cats - Lucky, Kitty, and Meggy.
    0.0.3 Fish - No namesssss.

9.0.0 Rats - Louie, Chessie, Elliot, Eddie, Loki, Andante, Stevie, Igby, and Zigby. (RIP Boys. <3)
    0.1.0 - Tremper Albino Leopard Gecko - Izzy (RIP.)
    1.3.0 - Angus, and the girlie trio. (RIP.)

Too many frozen mice, mealworms, and crickets to count! Don't you love reptiles?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spaceturtle View Post
    All great info. Thanks!

How much of a hassle is it to buy 1000 crickets and store them for feeding? How bad do they stink and are they really loud?
    Not much, just keep ther cage clean. And buy from a site that has high quility feeders so your not getting anything unwanted.

Quote Originally Posted by gothkenny View Post
    Well, at lots of pet stores you can't even buy a thousand crickets, so that option is pretty much out. (Or maybe thats just our Petsmart. They're always running out. ) And personally, I wouldn't buy that many anyway. Though I don't own a BD, (I own a CWD who loves his crickets. =3) the crickets smell, are loud, tend to die, just overall are terrible. not to mention I always get a few escape even though I covered the cricket cage in tape. >_> If you plan on buying in bulk, go with about 100. Think about 1000 crickets chirping simaltaniously.

But anyway, thats just my opinion. Keeping so many crickets (the most I keep at one time is 20-30) seems like hell to me. Maybe if you have them set up in a room no where near where you sleep and you have a good set-up for them it won't be so bad.

You buy them online, its about $20 shipped for 1000. If you buy from a petstore to feed a beardie you would find yourself broke very fast. They are horrible quility as well and not gutloaded at all with good food.

Only Male crickets chirp

Its all about where and how you house them. Like mice
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Save yourself some money and the headache and buy some turkistan roaches and dubia roaches. Turkistan are much smaller and breed fast. Dubia are much larger and breed slow. Once your baby becomes adults, you can sell all the turks and just feed off dubia

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12