Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

0 members and 2,975 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,615
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prey size?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Prey size?

I go with large adult mice for an adult corn. I shoot for slightly larger than girth. Once I fed my monster sunglow male two large mice and I didn't see him for days!!! I cut him back to one a week and all is good.

Thanks

pictures, as promised!

top:

and bottom:

I think she's plenty big for her age, I just knew from the breeder I got her from that she was 'on fuzzies'. i know some keepers prefer to feed multiple small prey items rather than a large one, and it was a mistake not to have him clarify. she was used for breeding too early and got egg bound, but she's an only snake and will be a pet (not for breeding) so she doesn't need anything but a maintenance diet.

another question for y'all... whats her 'technical' color type? any/all opinions would be welcome! My boss (who has well over 50 snakes) couldn't tell me for sure and I was hoping to get some opinions from all you experts!

thanks again for everyone's help so far. i got a med mouse today to pop in the freezer for next week.
    2.3.0 Rats
    1.0.0 Dog
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Corn Snake

Thanks

That is a Ghost...and a nice one at that. My big male is a ghost as well. If not a Ghost then a browned out Anery.

And yeah, that's an adult that should be on a nice adult mouse per week. Cool pix
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Beautiful snake! I agree with Argentra that she looks like a ghost, although I'd also agree with your boss that I can't be sure!

Definitely big enough to be eating adult mice. I've heard that occasionally some snakes seem to prefer smaller prey and will refuse adult mice and take 2 smaller items to be an equivalent meal. Perhaps that is what the breeder meant.

Another possibility is that if the egg bound incident just happened, they thought it would be better for her to only have small meals until she was fully recovered. Sometimes snakes that are stressed will regurge a meal that would otherwise be a fine size for them.
    Casey

Thanks

Looks like an anery to me...

But it could be a ghost, but a really dark one.

Thanks

Hence my saying it could be an Anery as well... I've seen adult ghosts before, but my Anery is still a little one so I don't know as much about their adult coloration. Thank you for adding your expert opinion there, Matt.
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks

duhr!! I'm such a dolt. I was cleaning up today and found the little slip of paper the breeder had given me with his contact info. a short call later and i found out the following:

-She was getting 2 fuzzies instead of 1 mouse just because he had smaller frozen prey in bulk for the rest of his snakes, but she has taken mice before

-she's an anery! she had me fooled, i thought she was a ghost! she's also shedding at the moment, so that probably dulled things.

thanks for everyone's help! i'll try and get better pics once she's finished shedding.
    2.3.0 Rats
    1.0.0 Dog
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Corn Snake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12