Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,051

0 members and 2,051 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Kam (43)
meganp (24)

» Stats

Members: 75,154
Threads: 248,595
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GrantW
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hairless rats.

Thanks

Re: Hairless rats.

Quote Originally Posted by SatanicIntention View Post
    Try to find Mazuri 9F(9% fat, 16% protein) from a local feed store that carries Purina products.

Anything you find in the pet store, food wise, is usually going to be crap. If it's Kaytee brand, get rid of it. It has been known to make them more predisposed to cancer.

Mine get fed the Mazuri blocks, a mostly organic mix that I make from foods from HEB(plus the Wellness Senior dog food in small quantities) and fresh foods a few times a week.

They really need a bit more fat and protein added to their diet. Hairless rats use ALOT of energy just keeping themselves warm, so their metabolism is through the roof. Try suppplementing with NutriCal(petsmart.com has it and you can print out the webpage and take it to the store so they can price match it) or NutriStat. And finding a better source of blocks will help them.

Have you considered finding them a haired female friend(after a 30 day quarantine of course)?
    Thanks for the feedback/tips. And, no, I don't plan on getting any more rats.

Thanks

Re: Hairless rats.

Since it won't let me edit my post, I'm double posting. Sorry the other one was short; I had to run.

The brand I use is LM Animal Farms. 22% protein and 5% fat. I'll keep an eye out for the food and supplements you suggested.

Oh, and there's a bunch of reasons why I do not plan on getting another rat. For starters, the cage I have is quite big enough for two but I feel like three might be a crowd. And if, for whatever reason they didn't get along, I'd have no extra cage/space to house another separately. Also, I have allergic reactions to haired rats. And... my roommate would probably kick my butt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123