Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,778

1 members and 2,777 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,178
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, turntechgodhead
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bumblebee's

Thanks

Re: Bumblebee's

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    While I agree with your thought process I disagree that we should use the Homo Spider assumption in genetic calculations. This would be assuming a genetic makeup that so far has not been proven.
    I agree completely, the default position without having proven SS in either animal should be that the animal only has a single spider allele. I just think if breeder are lead to believe that is the only possible outcome, we are much more likely to pass over a homozygous version if one does come about and is, as we are led to believe now, visually identical to a heterozygous animal.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlfreq
    I agree completely, the default position without having proven SS in either animal should be that the animal only has a single spider allele. I just think if breeder are lead to believe that is the only possible outcome, we are much more likely to pass over a homozygous version if one does come about and is, as we are led to believe now, visually identical to a heterozygous animal.
    I agree...but how many generations or outcrossing of a particular animal would need to be "watched" to verify if the underlying gene set is Het or Homo. While perhaps academically interesting I am not sure (given the constant price declines for these animals) that it would make good business sense to do so.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lord jackel
    but how many generations or outcrossing of a particular animal would need to be "watched" to verify if the underlying gene set is Het or Homo.
    I don't think it's a question of generations as much as it is the number of Ss offspring before reaching statistical improbability. Assuming an average clutch size of 6 eggs, and using only S? x ss crossings (50/50 per fertilization), I would expect an animal could be inferred to be homozygous in as few as 5 clutches, as that would statistically-speaking, only have a 1 in 2^30 chance.

The Earth is the cradle of mankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever. -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123