Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,924

1 members and 1,923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,392
Threads: 248,759
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ball-o-rama
    Thanks

Professional Cages

I was looking at these cages at http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Appl...c=2&category=4. I was planning on buying a few of these so I can raise some weanlings to breeding size separetly up in my room instead of with the rest of the colony. I know I could just put them in a different tub but this seems more fun so I can see them all the time since I will keep them until they die. And I have some other people that may want to do this to. I was just wondering how many rats will work, from weanling to adult size in the different sizes of cages because I'm not too sure. Thanks for the help!
    - Jon

Thanks

Re: Professional Cages

Rats are typically social animals, it's not often suggested to house them separately... I would suggest that if you're planning to raise them from birth to adulthood get two regular sized single level hamster cages and keep the male weenlings from a litter in one and the females in the other. When they get a bit bigger you won't need to worry about them breeding too young, and they won't lose out on their social development.

As weanlings they don't need an overly large enclosure as they will tend to stick together anyway, but they do need enough space that they are not crowded in. As adults cage size really depends on how active they are.

Thanks

You may have misunderstood me. They aren't going to be by them selves i meant I'm going to have several separated from the rest of the colony so they won't be alone. I just want to know how many I can put in those cages. And I won't have to worry about any of them getting pregnant because I'm going to have only females in there. =)
    - Jon

Thanks

Your right, I did misunderstand!!! Sorry about that!

I didn't see any dimensions on your page, but as babies they will typically be safe with a much smaller habitat than as adults, you should be good to keep all the baby females from one litter in a typical enclosure together.

I was always warned off of putting together babies from seperate litters together, although to be honest I can't recall the reason why at the moment.

Thanks

small = 12.5"x8"x5 1/3"
    medium = 18 7/8"x13 3/4"x7 7/8"
    large = 21 3/4"x15 3/8"x7 7/8"

what do you think about those sizes? number of what sized rats will fit in what?
    - Jon

Thanks

I wouldn't put more than 3 adults in the big one. Anymore than that and they'd get very crowded and it would SMELL.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

what about the Med size one? i currently have one and have 3 med rats in there that are just as happy as could be. wish i had the bigger though it doesnt look like much room

if you cant afford to take care of it, dont get it