Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,353

0 members and 2,353 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,179
Threads: 248,609
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ReptiFreak
    Thanks

Post Bearded Dragon questions

Ive been very interested in Bearded Dragons for awhile, and after reading and learning about them for awhile, Im planning on getting a baby in a couple weeks. I just have some questions that I havent really been able to get straight forward answers on- even in some websites.
    Like when their adults, is it true they can eat fuzzie mice? And if so how often? What kind of substrate do you personally think is good for a bd, and how long are they able to for? I have two BPs, and know that they can live maybe up to 40 years, and I hope that they do!! So its not a problem, Im just curious. But I already have a cadge and everything ready, and have decided that Im going to breed my own crickets, I just wanted to see some peoples oppinions, and hopefully some of my questions answerd. Thanks!
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

Re: Bearded Dragon questions

I meant how long can they live for- guess I just forgot to type in the word. lol. Sorry
    Jessika

0.1 NERD Coral Glow
    1.0 Harliquin Great Dane, Gambit
    0.2 Cats, Mojo-Jojo and Rebel
    A hubby that isn't a fan of reptiles but is learning to love them, and a baby girl named Eve 😊❤

Thanks

6-12 years old is about the range some live longer though
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

About the mice question, its more like 1 or 2 pinkies once a month.
    1.1 Ball python
    1.1 Boxer's
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

Thanks

Yep, that's about right. The pinkies should be almost a treat for them to give a natural calcium boost.

As for substrate, I've seen lots of different stuff used. Personally, I used repticarpet and he loved it. Nothing to accidentally ingest when lunging for those crickets (And they do lunge hard when chasing prey), and the spot over the UTH (rheostat controlled of course) was his favorite after-meal flattening place for warmth. Whatever you do choose, make sure it's something they can't ingest while feeding, and if you're not sure, put the crickets and worms in a high smooth sided ceramic bowl. They can't climb out, the beardie can just pick them up at his leisure, and they usually won't jump out before he can eat them.

That's my
    **Adriana - White 'N Nerdy!**

1.0 BP 'SunSpot', 0.1 Corn 'Freya', 1.0 IJ BTS 'Topaz', 1.0 ND bunny 'Licorice'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

I like to use alphalfa pellets (rabbit food). Its cheap and can be injested without problems and is good for spot cleaning. You don't want it to get soaking wet as it can mold but I have never had a problem. I feed pinkie mice to my females when they are breeding otherwise it is a rare treat. Definately not something you want to feed alot. Crickets dusted with calcium/vitamin powder and fresh greens should be theitr main diet with meal worms occasionally. The mealworms and mice are high in fat and obese dragons will have health problems. Breeding females can absorb much higher amounts of fat so they get alot more of these items.