Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,293

3 members and 3,290 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,204
Threads: 248,616
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, madballreptiles
    Thanks

Reptile Tub Ventilation

Ok so I have been looking at reptiletubs.com for a tub for my new boa. She is way too small for one now but here in a year or two I think it would be a good idea to move her to a VE175 tub. I think I read somewhere that some of you have these. What kind of ventilation do they offer if you use the lid that they come with. Do you have to drill holes in it like you would with a steralite tub? And one more question. How large of a boa is it ok to keep in that tub. It is pretty large so I would think a pretty good size boa would be ok in it. Thanks.

Andrew

Thanks

Re: Reptile Tub Ventilation

Ya im looking at getting my tubs from there for my boa as well and thats probably the same one i will get for when he is an adult. As far as ventilation goes I was kind of assuming since they are tubs specifically for reptiles that they would come with holes pre-drilled, but I could be wrong. It is kind of hard to tell because they dont have very clear pictures of the tubs, so I cant be for sure because I have not ordered mine yet.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy
    1.0.0 Colombian Boa possibly double het for albino stripe - no name yet

Thanks

I have two of those VE-175s and they are great. They do not come pre-drilled however, so you can take an inexpensive soldering iron and just poke some holes in the sides.

What I did, because my room the snakes are in is a bit too cool to not have supplemental heat(UTH is primary heat), I cut out a square in the lid and replaced it with PVC coated hardware cloth. I use a 60w ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer for the cool side and an UTH for the warm side. The tub is 52" by 22" by 14" high, so it needed a bit more heat so the cool side would be warm enough(80-82 ambient in whole tub).

The lid is also very rigid so I haven't had to use any bungee cords to keep the middle down. I've tried to pull up on the lid when it was clamped down and it barely moves(lifting tub WITH boa, LOL).

My girl is 7.5ft and 24lbs now, so she does need a new enclosure, but for now, she's doing alright and is very comfortable in her home.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

thanks. Was just looking at some soldering irons wasnt really sure exactly which one would do the job im looking for though as I know nothing about this product.
    home depot soldering irons
    those are the ones i was looking at it kind of looks like some of them have different sized tips. Sorry if this feels like a stupid question.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy

Thanks

Well, for making holes, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. I bought mine at Big Lots for $3 and it works great(for making holes, LOL, not what it was intended for, which is soldering).

I'll get some recent pictures up of what Sonja looks like in her tub(now that it's clean and not covered in rabbit blood and pewp, LOL).
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

haha ok thanks man.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy

Thanks

Ya well that sounds cool. I will definitely be getting one of those. I was either going to get that or a boaphile and the tub is way cheaper. I don't plan on putting my boa on rabbits ever. From what I understand if you stick to jumbo rats the boa will be smaller but still just as healthy. So maybe if I'm lucky I won't have to get anything bigger than that tub.

Thanks

I just ordered a CB70 for my ball and a MCB LD for the boa im going to get and the guy on the phone was a good guy able to answer my questions, good herp knowledge. Like Satanic said they do not come pre-drilled because of the vast amount of animals they are used for (which actually never crossed my mind lol). Not a pushy guy as I asked him about some of the other supplys comparitively to products i could buy in my local store and he gave an honest answer. Good experience. Shipping since I had such a small order was about as much as the tubs themselves i think but in the end your still saving a lot of money compared to a tank so that wasnt a big deal to me.
    ~Mark

0.0.1 Ball Python -Buddy