Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 832

1 members and 831 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,202
Threads: 248,614
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, CUGrad99

Thread: Am I crazy???

Thanks

Am I crazy???

I always heard of morphs and thought they were cool until I seen the prices.

It's kinda crazy dont you think?

Some are like a down payment on a car and for a breeder you can buy a car, maybe even a house (depends on where you live).

I understand that if you are a fanactic but what happens if the snake dies or something else? Do you get your $ back?

Thanks

Re: Am I crazy???

Quote Originally Posted by N4S
    I always heard of morphs and thought they were cool until I seen the prices.

It's kinda crazy dont you think?
    No.

Some are like a down payment on a car and for a breeder you can buy a car, maybe even a house (depends on where you live).

I understand that if you are a fanactic but what happens if the snake dies or something else? Do you get your $ back?
    No...unless a reputable breeder puts a set day guarantee on it (ie..30 day live guarantee)

Thanks

Do you know of any horror stories where people spent all this $ on a morph and lost out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4S
    Do you know of any horror stories where people spent all this $ on a morph and lost out?
    Yes. You have to research the breeder more than you research the snake. There are some shady guys out there that will take you for thousands.

A great resource is the Board of Inquiry (BOI). People post their dealings with buyers, good and bad, and you can read what people have gone through and make a decision based on what you've read.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

There are probaly lots of stories of it. It's just like people who buy a racehorse, or a stud dog, or any other live animal that can die.
    You could buy a super nice car and the engine could blow up, or you could crash it. Unless you have replacement insurance, you're out some serious dough.
    They are an investment in most cases. People spend thousands upon thousands on vacations to other countries, or on wine that they drink, or any of dozens of other hobbies or interests.
    It's just personal choice.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Perhaps I'm being naive but I assume that whilst plenty of folk do spend silly money on morphs for 'personal' use the really *crazy* money is spent (speculated) by organisations as part of their business plan. They may loose out sometimes but it is like just one stock in their portfolio.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    Various fish
    0.1 Wife

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kurgan
    ...as part of their business plan. They may loose out sometimes but it is like just one stock in their portfolio.
    I agree...If you are interested in raising snakes (or anything for that matter)for a living having a business plan that doesn't "have all your eggs in one incubator" is crucial.
    Sean