Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

1 members and 2,933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,175
Threads: 248,602
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, LouveniaEl
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: deer farming...?

Jinevive,,
    Your in up state NY ??.Your right about the deer hunting.The last few years have seen a steady drop in quality.Ny's DEC has dropped the ball,,or something.My first trip out with the bow netted me some venison,so I wont go without this year
    Nope,,I can't make it,,my sons got hockey

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Droptines
    Jinevive,,
    Your in up state NY ??.Your right about the deer hunting.The last few years have seen a steady drop in quality.Ny's DEC has dropped the ball,,or something.My first trip out with the bow netted me some venison,so I wont go without this year
    I went to college in upstate NY a few years ago, and the decline had already been noted back in '96 when I took some wildelife management seminars.
    The gist as I remember it was that the trophy hunters were killing the biggest and fastest-growing bucks before they had a chance to pass on their genes, leaving behind the runtier bucks to father the next generation. Even antlerless bucks are able to find does willing to reproduce with them, in the abscence of larger bucks. This is a complete reversal of the original predator/prey relationship, when the weaker animals were the first to be eaten. It's a really interesting commentary on how predation can directly affect the population dynamics.
    ~Jess
    Balls: 2.10 normal, 1.0 pastel, 2.2 het albino, 1.0 50% het pied, 1.2 poss. axanthic, 1.0 pinstripe, 1.0 black pastel,
    Misc. snakes: 1.1 blood python, 1.0 Tarahumara Mountain kingsnake, 0.1 RTB
    0.0.1 Red-eyed casque-headed skink
    1.2 dogs (Lab, Catahoula, Papillon-X), 6.1 cats, 1.0 foster dog
    6.4.8 ASFs
    1.0 Very Patient Boyfriend

Thanks

Your in up state NY ??.Your right about the deer hunting.The last few years have seen a steady drop in quality.Ny's DEC has dropped the ball,,or something.My first trip out with the bow netted me some venison,so I wont go without this year [/QUOTE] if you want some GREAT hunting get your out of state license and come to ohio, plenty of good huntin here.
    Joe

Thanks

Slartibartfast,,NY is alot of things,BUT,filled with hunters looking to harvest the 4 1/2 or older bucks,,ITS NOT.
    History has shown that the average buck taken in NY lives to the ripe old age of 1 1/2...NOT GOOD.Also,you have to keep in mind that 1 1/2 old crotch horn,could have good genetics to pass on,,he just has'nt hit HIS peak yet..
    (yes,Jar2476,,I know you guys have some REAL big boys running around ,someday,maybe)
    Nope,,I can't make it,,my sons got hockey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12